Forgotten Treasures

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jim in Oakville

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you ever put on an old pair of pants and found some unexpected money in the pocket, you know the feeling……well I had that happen to me this weekend in a way.[:0]:D

I bought some curly koa about 4 years ago on EBay. I had the blanks in my shop in a cardboard box I have been tripping over now all this time. This weekend I decided to turn a few of them on a Gentleman’s pen kit. Well I guess I found some treasure I had forgotten about.
IMG_8182.jpg

These are natural, no stabilization, turned with a skew, no sanding, burnished only with the koa shavings.
IMG_8187.jpg

The top coat is two sprayed lacquer coats that were then finish
With a plastic scratch remover paste, that is it!

IMG_8185.jpg

The chatoyance of the curl in the wood is really hard to capture in these pictures, but as you roll the pen about in the light it catches the curl and your eyes follow the moving figure.
IMG_8183.jpg

My thanks to Lance, who mentioned using lacquer the other day as a finish coat ... a light bulb went off in my head and I knew in an instant that I would try it on this koa...Thanks Lance!:D

I am very pleased with these results.[^]

So what treasures do you have in your shop that you have forgotten? I have 30 more of these blanks….I see a few more in the near future.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lathemaster

Jim,

Truly awesome. Reminds me that I have 5 or 6 Koa blanks hidden in the
back of the pen blank shelf. I know the feeling about the chatoyance - I turned a pen from some of the ancient wood I got from the site group buy and it has become one of my personal favorites. I find myself on conference calls just twirling the pen in my hand and being mesmerized by the shifting hues and patterns.

Anyway - enough about me - great look and now you have me thinking about lacquer as another finish possibility.

Cheers
Mike

GaryMGg

Curly Hawaiian Koa is one of my favorites to date -- it's a great wood for explaining chatoyance to people. And, it sells merchandise. [;)]
Great looking pen.
Gary

LanceD

Isn't laquer easy to work with ? I got tired of my inconsistant results using CA as a finish. Depending on the wood I always use either gloss or semi-gloss and it has made my finishing a lot less stressful. By the way your pen came out great. Now If you could send a couple of those my way.....[}:)][:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom