Folk Art dye

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Math2010

Math2010

First try with that dye. Really happy of the result!

We dont see it on the picture, but I inserted the transmission to deep in the tube, so I will not be able to sell it, because the tip goes to far when we turn the pen... I'm still Learning...

Attachments

• 20170904_194346_2.jpg
    20170904_194346_2.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 269
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Math2010

What wood did you use ? . I really like the final color !!!!

Thanks! I'm surprise about the colour. I bought it as a test colour, but I'll make some other pens with it. :)

I used Maple (Blank made from a kitchen table leg that someone wanted to throw away... I made few scrollsaw puzzles with the table top and pen blanks with the legs...)

Curly

Transfer punches are ment for use by machinists and fitters to mark holes from one piece to another. They are used in pen making to knock apart a pen by putting it in to the tube and hitting it with a hammer until the part comes out. Hold the pen with a rubber glove or rubber coated glove to keep from marking it.

Sometimes Busy Bee have them on sale for about $12.00

Last edited:

Math2010

Transfer punches are ment for use by machinists and fitters to mark holes from one piece to another. They are used in pen making to knock apart a pen by putting it in to the tube and hitting it with a hammer until the part comes out. Hold the pen with a rubber glove or rubber coated glove to keep from marking it.

Cool, thank you!
I guess we start with the tip of the barrel and after we're doing the transmission?

mecompco

Cool, thank you!
I guess we start with the tip of the barrel and after we're doing the transmission?

Yes, use a small punch to knock the tip out, then a larger punch from the tip end to move the transmission back. Multiple easy blows from a dead blow hammer are much more effective than heavy blows. It WILL move (even if loctited).

eharri446

I made a mistake when turning a slimline pen and was short bu a 1/4 of an inch. What I did was use a small tubing cutter and cutting the refill down by that amount after I removed the plastic threaded piece on the refill. Then I pushed the plastic piece back onto the refill and screwed it back into the transmission. Problem solved.

When my wife saw the pen she took it because it was short enough to fit in her billfold.

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
I submitted a brief tutorial a long time ago on a super simple jig that allows the removable of the Slimline style transmission and does it with no damage i.e., it can be reused or repositioned without removal. Best part. you only need the transfer punch for the kit used and a scrap of wood. I'll see if I kept a copy and will post it here if I do.
WB

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
OK, I found the original write up and here it is, I hope it's not too ling.

What pen maker hasn't wished they could remove the tranny from a 7mm pen to reset it or to reuse it for another design? I have, and usually tried pounding the thing out or just clamping it in a vise and yanking it out then getting a new transmission. Well I just figured out how to remove the transmission without a small hammer and with very little effort. Check this out:

The first thing needed is the 28 pc Transfer Punch set #3577 selling for $9.99 at Harbor Freight.
To begin, disassemble the pen and remove the ink refill.

Using the 1/8" dia. transfer punch knock out the nib by going through the transmission. (I did say you would need a hammer for this)

Using a 3" block of hardwood drill a 5/8" hole about 1 ½" deep and then drill a ¼" hole the same depth through to the center of the first hole.

Now we insert the tranny still in the lower part of the pen into the ¼" hole. (Using a small dowel wrapped with sandpaper to smooth the 1/4" hole will help.)

With the drill chuck in the tail stock install the 15/64" transfer punch, flat end out.
Slide the transfer punch into the blank sticking out of the block of wood and slide the whole thing to the head stock.

Almost finished; lock the tail stock with the block against the head of the lathe and begin cranking the quill. When you get to where the cranking resistance loosens up the transmission has been removed. You will usually find it in the 5/8" hole and it can be retrieved and reused.

So there you have it. Hope it helps someone.
WB
If you want, or need, the original post with photos pm me and I'll email it to you.

Top Bottom