Fleur de Aztec

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BRobbins629

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
A new design for me with a couple of experiments. The main body of the pen is ebonite from Dawn. The pyramids in the bottom section are my attempt to recreate a portion of an old Parker Aztec design - a suggestion from Dawn. The original is in mother of pearl and at this point mine are in PR with some pearl pigment. Clip and CB are a new design which is still a work in progress. I'm pretty happy with the clip, but think I lost a little detail in the CB while polishing the cast. These were carved in wax, cast in silver and then gold plated. All comments welcome.

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

This is the vintage Parker used as a model.
attachment.jpg

Attachments

• FL C SM.jpg
    FL C SM.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 688
  • FL2 Open SM.jpg
    FL2 Open SM.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 687
  • FLCB1 SM.jpg
    FLCB1 SM.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 842
  • Aztec model.jpg
    Aztec model.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 688
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I certainly love the metal work Bruce. The clip is fantastic!!!

What's the bottom pic? There seems to be loads of fine detail in those metal bits.
Are you doing the plating yourself or outsourcing?

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I certainly love the metal work Bruce. The clip is fantastic!!!

What's the bottom pic? There seems to be loads of fine detail in those metal bits.
Are you doing the plating yourself or outsourcing?
Thanks Skip - Should have labeled the bottom one. That's the vintage Parker I was trying to model. I did try some plating myself, but these were outsourced. Mine didn't work as planned.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
There was actually a series of these in some of the ads for the LA Pen Show in 2009. May have to try some with MOP or abalone. So much to try - so little time.
attachment.jpg

Attachments

• From LA Pen SHow.jpg
    From LA Pen SHow.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 168

David Keller

Beautiful craftsmanship, but to be honest, I don't like either of the pens. The color combination doesn't really appeal to me. I do like your version better than the inspiration.

PR_Princess

Bruce, you sneaky devil, you!...You kept that corrugated section out of my pics!!! :mad::biggrin:

A beautiful pen, a wonderful result - lol and quite the surprise!!!:tongue:

I really love that new clip and CB design of yours...and that you gold plated it to match the pen!:tongue:

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Great job Bruce . I love the vintage Parker look and you pulled it off perfectly . How thick of a plating are you using ? , it looks stunning .
Thanks Butch - I think the plating on these is about 45 microns. The person who did them normally plates automotive emblems and grills and did them to the same standard so I'm hoping it will be durable. Just one of several experiments. I've also been corrected on the type of Parker. The corrugated pearls were on the Parker 45s, not the Aztec. The Aztec has aztec symbols with metal overlays. Guess that's another project.:mad:

Top Bottom