The Fleet's In

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DCBluesman

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Blue and Gold fleck acrylic in a Flat Top American Double Twist. Commissioned for a May commissioning at the Naval Academy.

200522342720_FleckAcetateFTAmerDT.jpg

Critiques welcome. (I hope the Pen Critic stops in!)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary

Now that looks about as nicely done as can be! Good job, Lou and unlike that Redskin pen, I really like these colors.

woodpens

That is a big improvement in my opinion, Lou. The blue and gold work well together. In the submarine service, we had a blue crew and a gold crew. Maybe you need a submarine inlaid on the cap... [:)]

its_virgil

Lou,
Much nicer and a good idea. I have an ex-student graduating in May from the Naval Academy. I may have to try to sell a similar pen to his parents, who, by the way, are also ex-students of mine. Do you charge royalties on your ideas?
Do a good turn daily!
Don

JimGo

Lou, that looks great! Nice fit and finish, and I'm sure it will make a GREAT gift! I wonder if the MicroSeal (or whatever it was) people can do up a USNA seal for you in time...

tipusnr

Good looking pen, even though I don't like that gold fleck material much in large quantities. I'm sure he'll treasure it. Might not carry it around much however. As mentioned by another sailor - the slimline is about all that will fit in the uniform shirt pen pocket!! (Unless they've changed the uniform since I retired.)

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Very nice pen, Lou! I almost jumped up and started singing Anchors Aweigh when I saw it. Although I'm in the Public Health Service now, I will always be Navy at heart. I'm sure this pen will successfully make the transition from treasured possession to heirloom.

Randy_

Lou:

I like that pen a lot better than the "UGLY PEN" and primarily because of the form. HUT makes a finial that may fit your pen and accepts an insert with the USN emblem!! They are a few pennies over 4 bucks and would add a really nice touch if they are of good quality. I've been meaning to buy a couple to see what they are like; but haven't gotten to it yet.

You can also have the emblem on the clip; but I think the finial is the best place for it.

JimGo

Actually, now that I think of it, http://WoodPenPro.com had some interesting looking clips. Not sure if any of them would be appropriate for your intended recipient.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thanks to all of you for taking the time to look and comment. I've been studying this particular kit and have to figure out a way to compensate for the fact that the wood/plastic on the upper barrel is shorter than that on the lower barrel. It may take a re-thinking of the lower barrel if disparate colors are used. In solid colors or woods, it doesn't seem as noticeable.

PenWorks

Good looking pen Lou, the color combo is great. Sounds like I missed the other pen they talked about. also sounds like I don't want to see it. LOL This is a sharp pen, good job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom