flat top kind of day

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dancrafted

Status
Not open for further replies.

dancrafted

These are a buch of flat tops I finished up today.

2005871150_letterpenflat.jpg

these are York Gum, Red Malle, Brown Malle, Afazellia

20058711641_bowburlflat.jpg

These BOW Burl.

20058711749_yorkgumflat.jpg

close up of the York Gum. Awsome wood.

Well thanks for looking. Let me know whar you think.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Thumbs

Show off!

OH! That's right this is the Show Off Forum, isn't it?
They are all exquisite but that York Gum is just fantastic![:)]

Dario

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />
Practice tenons, practice tenons, take a break, practice tenons.

[:D]

William,

Thanks, been doing that on the 7mm Euros...I made about 100 of it [;)] is that enough? [:D]

If memory serves me right, I though I heard...there could be some assembly problems?

Sorry for the hijack.

Thumbs

Actually I like the Euros better for style but they seem to be pretty much the same to make. Of course that's hard to argue with these examples! The big thing here is that the size of the bottom barrel where it enters under the edge of the center band attached to the upper barrel better not be oversized at all or it will bind! DAMHIKT either! At least I think that is the problem we discussed earlier. Eagle is a great source for information on these, I think![:)]HTH!

You made a <b>100</b> Euros? Wow![:0]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I like that style and they look superb.
Which supplier do you use for these as they are all similiar in appearance.
The ones I had problems with were made by WC and those are "b" company kites but different in that they were not double twist.
In the "b" catologue I note that they use the double twist as opposed the the WC single twist.
That being said I have had no problems with ones I have made for myself but I have haad problems with some I gave away.
They were the first pens I made(woodcraft) and have stopped making them.I am gun shy of them.

dancrafted

Eagle,
These are a mix of brea and hut. I find them to be identical. Flat tops are one of my favorite pens. Also my best seller when I make them. I have shyed away fromthem lately because of tightening problem. Once I found out how to fix that I luv making them.

Dario

Originally posted by dancrafted
<br />...I have shyed away fromthem lately because of tightening problem. Once I found out how to fix that I luv making them.

Care to expound what the problem was and how you fixed it?

Thanks!

dancrafted

The problem with double twist flat tops is when you assemble the upper barrel the bottem trim rings with crimp the bottom of the brass tube. The fix is easy and not needed on every one. First check to see if It needs to be fixed. Take assembled top barrel try to slide double twist mechanism backwards into the barrel (that is to say the brass portion) If it does not slide in an out easily you have a problem. If it binds at all take a reamer or drill and gentely ream it out until the mechanism slides in and out smoothly. Once it goes it goes in an out easily assemble like normal.

Fleabit

You have definantly been busy. They are all nicely done. I too like the looks of the york gum. May have to get some of it and give it a try.

York gum looks exceptional. I'll have to get some. I've made about a dozen double twist flat tops (berea) and quite a few DT cigars and haven't noticed any problem with stiffness. Maybe I'm just lucky. I'll be sure to try your suggestion about mechanism binding in the upper barrel on future ones though.
Thanks for the tip Daniel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom