Flame Box Elder Roman Harvest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cwalker935

Cwalker935

This is another kit that I got from Clark Miles (cmiles1985) as part of my summer extravaganza prize. I dressed it up in some flame box elder.

View in Gallery

image.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Beautiful Pen Cody.

I'm looking at a few "Very Nice Pens" to turn. How would you rate the Roman Harvest? Just Curious. These will be for family gifts.

Cwalker935

Beautiful Pen Cody.

I'm looking at a few "Very Nice Pens" to turn. How would you rate the Roman Harvest? Just Curious. These will be for family gifts.

The kit seems very well made, went together easily. This is the first Roman Harvest that Ihave made and I have not written with this one so cannot tell you much about how it will do in the long run. It has a nice feel. My first impression is that it is a real value in its price range.

Cwalker935

Great pen Cody!
I wasn't expecting to see a flamed box elder blank that is so rich in color throughout.

I bought 4 blanks from a member (can't remember who) off of the deals forum. The two blanks with the most red seemed to crosscut. They seemed to be pretty solid but the first barrel that I tried to turn was punky in the center and had massive tearouts even tho I was being very careful and was using a freshly sharpened skew. I then improvised a vaccum chamber using a brake bleeding hand pump and a mason jar. I used a 50/50 mixture of lacquer and lacquer thinner to stabilize the blanks used for this pen. Worked pretty well and I am now seeing if I can stabilize a corn cob using this approach. Jim Zorn did a demo on this at one of our Richmond meetings.

Top Bottom