A flagrant Plagiarism of a Slim-Line

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RussFairfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
I give credit to Don Ward and Jay Pickens for this pen. It is an exact copy of the pens that were posted by Don a few days ago. The wood is cross-cut Zebra, the finish is CA glue, and the pen is a Berea StreamLine. This is a big pen, 0.550 diamater, but it feels good in the hand for writing

200711842349_DSC01178E.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Russ: Nice work on the pen, as usual. It was fun to make, wasn't it? I see more of these in my future and hope you do also. You told me you were going to make one and I knew you would. For those who want to know more about the finial end, read the tutorial by Jay Pickens entitled "Finial Options" at http://www.penmakersguild.com or look in our library for an article by Jay entitled "Countersunk Pocket Clip Variations."

Jim: Yes, this was inspired by the pen Angelo made and wrote an article for AAW. But, Angelo used parts from two kits and Russ', Jay's and my pen were made from only one kit. I actually have one of Angelo's Signature pen, as he calles it.

As Russ mentioned, Jay Pickens was my inspiration to meke the pen --- with only one kit -- and Jay challenged me to do the same after sharing his rendition.

Do a goof turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by RussFairfield
<br />I give credit to Don Ward and Jay Pickens for this pen. It is an exact copy of the pens that were posted by Don a few days ago. The wood is cross-cut Zebra, the finish is CA glue, and the pen is a Berea StreamLine. This is a big pen, 0.550 diamater, but it feels good in the hand for writing

woodpens

Originally posted by its_virgil
Jim: Yes, this was inspired by the pen Angelo made and wrote an article for AAW. But, Angelo used parts from two kits and Russ', Jay's and my pen were made from only one kit. I actually have one of Angelo's Signature pen, as he calles it.

I didn't realize he used two kits. Did he use the nib from a European to support the larger body? I like both methods. The recessed clip really adds some flare.

its_virgil

Correct. Nib from the euro and clip from the slimline.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by woodpens
<br />
Originally posted by its_virgil

I didn't realize he used two kits. Did he use the nib from a European to support the larger body? I like both methods. The recessed clip really adds some flare.

johncrane

WOW!Russ great copy Mate! that cross/cut Zebra is some off the best lve seen' what is the black material you have used [?]what ever it is it looks good and gives the pen a nice touch or finish .[:D]

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
I have always avoided making ballpoint pens that use more than one kit because that is more investment than I want to make in a pen that I can sell in the $50 price range. Beside that, I already have so many wasted pen parts that I am using them in a bucket as a counterweight on a panel saw. I don't need any more.

There are two real benefits in this pen design. The first is that the clip is captured in a notch and can't rotate around the pen and make that tell-tale ring. The other is that the length of the pen is adjustable with the only restraint on length being that the tranmission has to be gripped by the tube that is recessed in the upper barrel. This pen is 3/4" longer than the normal SlimLine and it works fine.

I too would like all the joints to be the same, but the bottom joint has to be square for the transmission. Making the top square to match was too geometrical for me, and everyone who looked at it thought it was the correction of a mistake. The angled joint makes it look intentional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom