"Five Kits" Frankenpen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Sylvanite

Sylvanite

This was my entry in this year's Birthday Bash Modified Pen Contest. It is a capped ballpoint made with parts from 5 different styles of pen kits plus a part from a spare fountain pen section.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The cap/body couplers and the black grip section came from a partial fountain pen kit I had robbed for parts previously. I don't remember what kit it was.

attachment.php

The nosecone came from a Berea Flat-Top American kit. The trim ring came off a fountain pen section that I had bought years ago (to have different nibs). It is wider than the trim ring that was on the other fountain pen kit. I joined the grip, trim ring, and nosecone together with a tube from a slimline kit. I had to ream one end of the tube so that the nosecone wouldn't expand it too much when pressed in. I also cut it shorter. Then I glued the parts to the tube to make the front section.

attachment.php

I wanted matching caps on both ends, and chose finials from two cigar pen kits. I attached the finial to the pen body using a cigar pen nosecone coupler. It has the same thread as the finial coupler so the finial cap screws on. The threads are too long, however, so I turned them down. After taking the picture, I noticed that the threads are different on the modified coupler and the unmodified one. I guess that's a difference between brands of cigar pens. Oddly enough, though, the nosecone and finial couplers of each brand have the same threads. So, as long as one sticks to a single manufacturer, the finial cap will screw onto either.

attachment.php

I didn't want the pen to look too much like a cigar pen, however, so I used a different clip. I chose one from a Perfect-Fit kit. I had to enlarge the hole in the trim ring so it would fit the cigar finial coupler (using a dremel tool and plenty of patience).

attachment.php

The tubes, parker-style refill, spring, finial coupler, and finial cap came from another cigar pen kit. The blank was a reject from my black and white swirl alumilite casts.

attachment.php

I hope that was interesting,
Eric

Attachments

• FrankenPen1.jpg
    FrankenPen1.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 932
  • FrankenPen2.jpg
    FrankenPen2.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 840
  • FrankenPenCenter.jpg
    FrankenPenCenter.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 784
  • FrankenPenGrip.jpg
    FrankenPenGrip.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 839
  • FrankenPenBodyFinial.jpg
    FrankenPenBodyFinial.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 769
  • FrankenPenClip.jpg
    FrankenPenClip.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 772
  • FrankenPenCigarParts.jpg
    FrankenPenCigarParts.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 837
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

Do you have to hook electrodes to both ends to bring it to life?? Very impressive pen !! And I love the use what you've got idea. Jim S

Jjartwood

Smooth, I would never have guessed it was a junkyard pen,Great thought process,
great imagination to make it all work together,it looks natural like it was meant to be a kit,in fact, a very nice kit.
Impressive.
Mark

RichF

Great pen Eric. I love the work you did bringing the unrelated parts together into a cohesive design. Your reject blank looks great.

Sylvanite

The pen looks a bit stubby when uncapped (reminding me of the el toro), but it writes ok and actually is a very good size for a shirt-pocket pen.

The photo shows a gap between the barrel and the front section -- I'm not sure why. Looking at the pen in person, I can't detect it.

Thanks for all the kind remarks,
Eric

Triple Crown

Hi Eric,

I like how it turned out! The blank is nice too! I also really like all the pictures you included in this post to show us the complexity of design and how it all the different components go together! Great photography too! It's an awesome pen! I also like that the nickname of this contest is Frankenpen and that your pen has bolts on each end akin to Frankenstein's neck. Thank you for posting the story of this pen!!

Greg

Top Bottom