Fisher of Men kits meet three Biblical woods

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RHossack

RHossack

I haven't seen my lathe for quite sometime due to working long days because of the holidays.

A Christmas order I delivered this afternoon.

Bethlehem Olive wood, Bethlehem Carob wood and Sh(i)ttim wood grace these 'Fisher of Men' pen kits and all have 10 coats of Med CA except for one.

Of all these the Sh(i)ttim pen blank has the best chatoyance and I tried to capture it.

8578324Bow_004__Copy_.jpg

1345466Bow_006__Copy_.jpg

An interesting thing happened with the first BOW pen on the left. It would not take a finish on the end by the nib and acted like it was oily. This one also was the first spalted BOW I've ever ran across and I had to take care of that as I turned with the super-thin CA.

I ended up doing one of my Iso bathes I normally due for cocobolo and then using some super-thin CA and flooded the area and made a slurry paste and worked it into the wood.

I then did two coats of super-thin CA and then two coats of Thick CA and polished the blank with Plastx and a final coat of Kiwi Natural Shoe Polish.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

I love the sh(ittim) wood pen, it's something we don't get to see much of, the top shot does show some of the chatoyance, but I believe that chatoyance is the hardest feature to capture in a photo, right next to dichroic glass for the full effect.
Great group of Fishers of men.

RHossack

I love the sh(ittim) wood pen, it's something we don't get to see much of, the top shot does show some of the chatoyance, but I believe that chatoyance is the hardest feature to capture in a photo, right next to dichroic glass for the full effect.
Great group of Fishers of men.
Thank you sir ...

Top Bottom