Fish Symbol Inlayed Baron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from laserturner

Status
Not open for further replies.

laserturner

I've engraved the Christian fish symbol on several pens in the past and thought it would work really well as an inlay. I used Bethlehem Olivewood and Blackwood (from Big Rob). The pen is a gold Titanium Baron (Arizona Silhouette).
I've also added an Olivewood ring at the end and personalized it.
Comments welcome. Thanks

200722514651_Fish5.jpg

Ron Mc

Nicely done Ken! Will you be offering this as a blank soon? If so I may want a couple.

laserturner

Thanks to all for the positive response.
This one is off to my son who is doing a lot of work with the church at his AF base in San Antonio where he is now going through Tech school.
I was down there at his graduation from Basic training last month.
I also got a chance to hang out for a bit with Dario, Ben and Curtis. Super nice people. Thanks for the Texas hospitality.

Ron, This will be in kit form soon. I'll post in the Business Classified Forum when it is.
Thanks again,
Ken

alxe24

Ken I like the whole package. Specially the top where you angrave a name. Please don take this the wrong way but the symbol for whatever reason seems to be upside down. Did you tried it the other way arround?

laserturner

Hi Alex,
I like the idea of the engraving wrapping around the accent at the bottom as well. I doesn't get in the way of anything that way. Also, I spent a bit of time researching the fish symbol for its meaning, orientation etc before putting this pen together and this was by far the most popular orientation. I did see it the other way a couple of times but saw no mention anywhere as to either way being right or wrong.

mick

Great pen Ken! I'm also looking forward to seeing it available in kit form.
Is it too early, or do you know if you'll offer it in other woods? I was thinking that an Olivewood pen with Bloodwood inlays would looks good also.

laserturner

You're close Mike. I cut up a couple of the symbols from Bloodwood and they work well with the Blackwood so I'll probably go with that combination as well. Thanks again for all the compliments.

GaryMGg

As everyone else has said, that's an excellent pen. I'll be watching for a kit.
What's the smallest that might be available (thinking of female users)?

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by alxe24
<br />Ken I like the whole package. Specially the top where you angrave a name. Please don take this the wrong way but the symbol for whatever reason seems to be upside down. Did you tried it the other way arround?

The original fish symbol was horizontal. I don't believe there is right/wrong side up/down. It is just fine the way it is.
BTW, if you, or anyone, does not know the origin of the symbol, please pm or e-mail me. Jeff might not welcome a religious discussion here.

cozee

Nice pen! It really doesn't matter the position of the icthus (fish). Since they were originally drawn by two people, its position would be left up to the one drawing the last line. I guess left-handed or right-handed would have made the determination.

And put me down for a couple of kits!

bnoles

Ken,

I just now caught this thread and don't know how I missed if the past couple of days.

I just want to add to what everyone else has already said... AWESOME!

Sorry I can't linger here long, but I need to head down to the classifieds and get my name on the list for the kits. [:D]

Great job!

laserturner

Thanks to all. I appreciate the postitive response.
The Baron and Jr.Gent/Statesman will be the smallest available for this one. I'll probably also make it for the Gentleman/Statesman and depending on the popularity, maybe the Churchill and El Grande. Not sure on those yet.
I'll post in the Business Forum as soon as it's available. No more than a couple of days.
Thanks again

Randy_

Ken: I love your work and all of the innovative ideas. Even went so far as to lay down some hard cash for a S&S kit which turned out very nicely.....too nicely, actually, as it now resides in a pocket other than my own!!

Guess I am a minority of one and don't care for the new effort. Sorry, but I gotta call it like I see it. Technically, of course, it appears to be up to your usual high standards. However, my feeling is that the inlay is much too large/coarse for the pen and totally overpowers it. I think a half sized inlay(or thereabouts) would be a more subtle presentation and much more appealing to the eye.

As to the orientation, it is not a big deal; but it just looks upside down to me and when in use with the cap posted that impression is reinforced. I suspect that you experimented with both orientations and preferred the one presented. If so, it would be interesting to hear why you decided on the existing configuration. Thanks.

All of the above is just one man's opinion, of course. Take it for what it is worth.

laserturner

Hi Randy,
I respect and appreciate your opinion as well as everyones on this and other groups. I've had the opportunity to engrave the fish symbol on several of my customers pens and almost always wanted to make it larger than I was able to. The inlay allowed me to do that. I feel it works well with the black background. Regarding orientation, all the kits I'll be making will be for pens with the same diameter on both ends of the cap (Baron, Jr. Gent II, Gent/Statesman) so you'll be able to position the fish symbol the way you choose (which is what I did).

Randy_

Originally posted by laserturner
<br />.....all the kits I'll be making will be for pens with the same diameter on both ends of the cap (Baron, Jr. Gent II, Gent/Statesman) so you'll be able to position the fish symbol the way you choose.....

Ken: Ya know, I wondered about that; but forgot to ask. I suspected you had designed the thing so there was an option.

Another question. Did you give any consideration to putting the inlay on the barrel rather than the cap? Guess one thing that bothers me is the competition for space with the clip. I bought one of RonMc's cross blanks for a Sierra and am not totally enthused because of the similar competition between the clip and the inlay.

Rifleman,
you said "For around $25,000.00 a laser engraver can be yours too. " So I did not know I could get a person to work for me that cheap[:D] laserturner I take it your available for that price[;)]
just kidding, I guess for that amount of money I better stick to making my pine cone pens.
Bob

Dario

Very nice new design Ken!

I haven't turned the kit you gave me yet [:I][B)]

BTW, We enjoyed your visit...sorry we cannot stay longer. Next time I go to Vegas, I will try to visit you and check your setup. [8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom