fish pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mickr

mickr

Saw this and had to have one for myself..we fish every morning from ice out to ice in.....I sell mostly to tourists: hunters, fishers, and others..I made this & was happy with it, but I would have to sell for 50-60.00..I've never gotten more than 35-40.00 for a sierra of any kind...what do you think would be a fair price, in your area?

Attachments

• DSCN0592.JPG
    DSCN0592.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 381
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rstyleusa

Great pen...I believe you could get a little more for it if you let people know how the turning process works. I find that once people understand the process and know that I do not buy the turned wood and kits and then sell them they are willing to pay the asking price. When I do my shows I have a basket of blanks and cut offs so they see how the wood looks before being worked. Let them know the time it takes and I do not see an issue with trying to sell for a bit more.
Just my 2 cents.

tim self

I've provided one to a silent school auction and they set the minimum bid at $50. Went quick. Nice job. You have to remember that isn't a $2 blank. Price accordingly.

Last edited:

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Cool looking pen!

About pricing . . . have you ever made a Sierra like that before? New pen. New price. I don't know why you don't just ask what price you want. If they want it, in most cases, they'll just pay it. Considering the work you put into that pen, you know what it's value is. Being fair to your self in just as important as being fair to your customers. If they question the price, simply tell them its more than your usual Sierra cost because of the materials and work involved.

As to the price in my area, I'd have to know how much you paid for materials. My "accountant" tells me to sell for 3 times cost of materials. One time for materials, one time for "overhead" and one time for "work/time spent."

mrcook4570

Nice pens should sell for a nice price. You have a lot more cost in each pen than just the cost of raw materials. Here is just a small number of things that MUST be considered:

Lathe, chisels, sandpaper, finishing supplies, wood, pen parts, pen press, miscellaneous pen tools, table saw, band saw, sanders, drill press, other tools, sharpening tools/supplies, shop building, heat, a/c, electricity, automobile, gas, car insurance, homeowners/business insurance, displays, linens, lighting, show fees, hotel, travel expenses, packaging, business cards, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc

If even one of the above items is missing, then that pen may be impossible to make, let alone make it nice or sell it. Too many people do not take into account all costs of making a pen.

louisbry

Beautiful pen and the fish inlays are very well done. Can't help you with pricing since where I live people don't spend much for pens either.

mickr

Appreciate the input so far..It's a Kalleshanwoods kit...so I have with just pen & blank 30.00 in it..it goes together very easily..it turns ok..I was very gentle, so as not to screw up a fish ...so I need to cover selling costs, shop costs, and profit..that's why I say 60.00..but in my area I doubt I can get 60 for a ballpoint..I just wondered what you thought you could get in the big city or other areas...I don't think I can resell these at a profit..I've been selling my woodworking for a living for 40+ yrs..so I have a tad of experience..I was looking to others to see if I'm off the mark totally...guess not

1080Wayne

Mick
You will never get $60 if you don`t ask for it . My advice would be to ask for $100 , and don`t back down . Remember that some people pay a lot of money for those fishing trips - $100 may be a cheap momento of a fun -filled week .
Wayne

bitshird

Beautiful pen and the fish inlays are very well done. Can't help you with pricing since where I live people don't spend much for pens either.
I feel the same as Louis, it's a beautiful pen but can't help with the pricing, I live just a little west of him. around here they still scrawl on cave walls with charcoal .

Top Bottom