Firsts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from tdsmart

tdsmart

Quite a few firsts for me with this.

First time posting pictures. Like many of you, I have a love/hate relationship with my camera and I struggle with lighting, color and all of the other thinigs I read solutions for on this great forum. Its coming along, but very slowly.

First time turning blanks created Mr Brooks that I purchased from Exotics. I'm primarily a wood snob. I love the look and feel of burl wood, but these just might make me a convert. They are truely like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates, "you never know what your gonna get" until you open them up.

First time with a Marksman Eagle kit and a Pristina kit from Timberbits. Chose the larger format kits to get as much surface area on the finished blanks to try to show them off.

First time doing an inlay kit. The Sierra style kit is a mixture of inlay and fill done by Ken at Kallenshaan. Ken did a wonderful job with just a picture to work and stuck through several weeks of my beginner questions as we back and forthed to complete what I hope is just a prototype. He was always there to respond right away and I thank him for that. For those with an Army background you might recognize the shoulder patch of the 11th Armored Cavalry "Blackhorse" Regiment. We have an annual reunion at the end of next month and this pen, along with one of Ken's engraved boxes, is a donation for the silent auction at that event.

This forum also inspired me to give segmenting a try for the first time, but I'll save that for another time.

Attachments

• IMG_3256.jpg
    IMG_3256.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_3261.jpg
    IMG_3261.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_3267.jpg
    IMG_3267.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 216
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
HEY TOM!!!

If I may start with a suggestion, sign your entries "Tom"--saves having to look it up for those who don't know!!

So MANY cool things at one time, but I am most impressed by your lasered kit!!
I realize working with Ken makes the process much simpler, but you really deserve credit for having the IDEA!! What a great fund-raiser!! I suspect you will find many of the attendees will order that pen, if you make it known that you can create more.

(Of course, the bidding will probably be more aggressive if it is a "one-of-a-kind").
In either event, you should derive some pride in conceiving the product!!---CONGRATS!! and THANKS for your service!!!

Ed

tdsmart

Ed, thank you for the comments and suggestion. It would be nice if others had enough interest in ordering a similar pen, put if they don't that's OK too. Figurin' it out, with Ken's significant assistance and guidance, was enough satisfaction for me.

See you next month at the MAPG.

Tom

tdsmart

They are all great! The 2nd one really makes me smile :biggrin:. I don't get to see many of those turned.

That one suprised me a little. The colors in the finished product were much more subdued than I expected given the appearance of the unturned blank and the results of the black and green "Ion Storm", which is iridescent. My pictures do not do either the proper justice. My wife tried to claim that second one, but I was able to beat her back. She already has too many pens, if there is such a thing.

Thanks for making such great material available to us non-casters.

Charlie_W

Hey Tom,
I forgot to mention this in the pm but your pens look great.
Jonathon and Ken are good folks to work with! Looking forward to seeing some of your work in person!

(Bring some with you to Woodcraft)

Charlie

tdsmart

Hey Tom,
I forgot to mention this in the pm but your pens look great.
Jonathon and Ken are good folks to work with! Looking forward to seeing some of your work in person!

(Bring some with you to Woodcraft)

Charlie

Charlie, thanks. I'll do it. I'm in for the Wounded Warrior Project turning at Woodcraft on the 27th.

BSea

I feel your pain when it comes to photos.:confused: I can't seem to get a realistic picture very ofte either. Especially of resin pens. But I think your pens are outstanding. The 2nd one is my favorite.

Top Bottom