First Worthless wood pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from scjohnson243

scjohnson243

Kind of embarrasing to post alongside you guys beautiful pens. I did my first worthless wood pen this weekend and was happy how it came out its a cheap twist executive kit with a maple burl/blue alumilite blank... Learned a few lessons on this one, I need to paint the blank, I didn't think the blue would show through.. Oops... I need to learn to CA finish, I think.. I have been dreading it, but would make it look better if it was more "Shiny".. I need to learn to take pictures!

Worthless_wood.jpg

Anyway, hope you enjoy!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

I think CA finishes are just like learning to turn. It's not as hard as it looks. But just when you think you've got it down, something happens that you don't expect. If you can learn to cast worthless wood, doing a CA finish should be a breeze.

And that's a nice pen too.

Bob Wemm

I think CA finishes are just like learning to turn. It's not as hard as it looks. But just when you think you've got it down, something happens that you don't expect. If you can learn to cast worthless wood, doing a CA finish should be a breeze.

And that's a nice pen too.

You are absolutely correct Bob, just when you think you have CA off pat, you come unstuck.
But it is a beautiful finish and well worth the occasional heartache.

Bob.:)

plantman

:bananen_smilies035: I agree with the Bobers !! Everything you want to know or learn is in the library or in someone's head on this site. Don't be afraid to ask before you try something new. A lot of us learned the hard way because we didn't have a site like this to get information, ask questions, or have the vast knowledge of the members at our fingertips. Use it well !!! Jim S

Last edited:

robutacion

Kind of embarrasing to post alongside you guys beautiful pens. I did my first worthless wood pen this weekend and was happy how it came out its a cheap twist executive kit with a maple burl/blue alumilite blank... Learned a few lessons on this one, I need to paint the blank, I didn't think the blue would show through.. Oops... I need to learn to CA finish, I think.. I have been dreading it, but would make it look better if it was more "Shiny".. I need to learn to take pictures!
Anyway, hope you enjoy!

If only we were born knowing and being good at everything, huh...???:)

There is absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about, if you only could see some of the first attempts we all went through to get where we are...???:eek:

Did you mean that, you need to paint the tube..???

CA finish is more than just a finish, it will be one of the ways possible to correct undercut barrels. If you went a little too far in removing the material that you have the bushings glued to, multiple CA coats will built the barrel diameter to the desired size, giving you as a result a great deep gloss finish, that some people hate but most of us, like...!

One step at the time...!

Cheers
George

BSea

Yup! Tube, not the blank, that would be kinda silly! :)

Thanks all.
I think George was confused when you said:
I need to paint the blank, I didn't think the blue would show through.
I think you meant you can see the brass showing through. Is that right?

And painting the inside of the blank is better than painting the tube because with a somewhat transparent cast, you can see the glue in addition to the tube. If you paint the inside of the blank before inserting the tube, it will give a smoother appearance to the resin.

And actually, it's best to paint the tube and the inside of the blank. Some may think that's overkill, but I do that on a blank that's really clear.

scjohnson243

Yup! Tube, not the blank, that would be kinda silly! :)

Thanks all.
I think George was confused when you said:
I need to paint the blank, I didn't think the blue would show through.
I think you meant you can see the brass showing through. Is that right?

And painting the inside of the blank is better than painting the tube because with a somewhat transparent cast, you can see the glue in addition to the tube. If you paint the inside of the blank before inserting the tube, it will give a smoother appearance to the resin.

And actually, it's best to paint the tube and the inside of the blank. Some may think that's overkill, but I do that on a blank that's really clear.

I think I had 2 seperate thoughts on it and just mixed them up in one sentence. (Need more coffee)

The blue on the Blank was very dark, I didn't expect it to get transparent after shaving a lot off... I could see the brass showing through... I think from now on as a precaution on any acrylic type blanks I'll just paint the inside of the blank after I drill it out... Just one extra step!

Now to go raid my kids paints and paintbrushes! :)

OZturner

Nice Pen, Steven.
Beautiful Blank, Your Fit and Finish, is a bit hard to tell, as the Pen is a bit far from the Camera, and the Lighting isn't uniform.
Keep experimenting with Photographs until you can see the entire pen in fine detail.
I look forward to your next posting,
Congratulations,
Brian.

Top Bottom