First Wooden Finial in NH

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mikespenturningz

Well I finally decided to give one of these a try.
1_pen-5.jpg

It isn't perfect but what is... I think the wood is Macacauba but I am not sure? Any suggestions on the wood would be helpful.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Katya

I like the finials too... as soon as I get some pin chucks I'll give it a go. But I also saw a button used on one pic here, so have bought some buttons on EBay that I'll try too. How difficult was it to punch out the original finial? How do you avoid damaging the rest of the metal?

Hendu3270

Just started doing the custom finials as well and think it really adds to the pen. Your's looks great. Can't help with the wood, sorry.

BSea

I like the finials too... as soon as I get some pin chucks I'll give it a go. But I also saw a button used on one pic here, so have bought some buttons on EBay that I'll try too. How difficult was it to punch out the original finial? How do you avoid damaging the rest of the metal?
I use a punch from a set I bought from harbor freight. I just use the largest punch that will fit easily, and then hit it with a hammer while holding the piece in my hand. Some come out easier than other, but I've never damaged 1 yet using this method, and I bet I've done 20 or more. And I've never hit my hand either:biggrin:.

longbeard

I do the same as Bob said above, but i will assemble the cap, then punch the finial out.

I do the same thing that Bob does. I drilled a hole in a piece of wood. Then I just chose a HF punch and gave it a nice easy tap. They don't come out that hard. I may have tapped it a few times but that was it.

Thanks Harry, I also like the Retro and it was a great way to do the wooden finial. I also like the Jr. Gent 2 I like all of the hardware sets that use the 12.5 and 10.5 drill bits. They are just a nice size and many designs around that size.

Last edited:

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Top Bottom