first wood centerband

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skewzdust

Status
Not open for further replies.

skewzdust

This was my first attempt at a wood centerband. It's cocobolo with an oak centerband. I put off trying it for a while, thought it would be more difficult but it was easy. I like it, opens up lots of possibilities.

200531421614_cocobolo%20with%20oak%20centerband.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodscavenger

One tip I found while doing several similar ones is in the sanding phase. Since you do not have a bead or other type of angled cut dividing the CB from the pen if the pen is even the slightest bit off center then when you twist it you r fingers with find a ridge along one edge of the CB. When you are down to 400 grit stop the lathe, loosen the nut, turn the CB 1/4 turn then retighten and sand. Repeat this through a full cycle of rotations. This should fix any concentric alignment issues. great pen by the way.

skewzdust

Thanks for the tip on sanding. I got lucky with this one, it's concentric and everything stays lined up when you twist it. But I did know when I was making it that the odds of that happening all the time aren't the best. I really didn't think it was going to turn out well so I grabbed a scrap of oak to experiment with. Would have done maple but that would have meant digging through the bin. Hopefully this wasn't just beginner's luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom