First use of brass...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Timbo

Timbo

I completed this pen several weeks ago as a birthday present for my wife. She had told me the slimline was to small, but the Cigar was too fat. I chose to use the FT American as a compromise. It was difficult to turn because I used brass from HD, that I did not realize would be too hard to turn easily. I wised up an got some softer stuff on order. I also used pickguard material that I got from an AIP group buy, for the twin Celtic Knots. I'd like to know what folks think of the design. Thanks for looking.

200832223534_1stbrass.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I echo Karlvin's comment's about the wider brass, Tim. I like it, as well. Overall, the design is too active for my taste. I might omit the Celtic knots so that I could showcase the brass on this pen as it seems to be taking the spotlight here.

jhs494

Nice pen Tim. With all the trouble you were having with the brass, the pen turned out very nice. Your wife will appreciate it I am sure.
Thanks for sharing it with us.

ahoiberg

i really like it. i think the design is spot on and the level of activity acceptable. great job, i look forward to seeing more of your work.

MHKogan

Nice pen Tim. We manufacture metal pen blanks that are made out of a new material called M3 which turns nicely with standard wood tools yet polishes up like metal. You can use it to make a whole pen or just as embellishments as you did here. Check it out at www.MetalPenBlanks.com .

Mike

RonInSpringTX

Very nice pen for your spouse!! Believe me,if you'd made it to sell, it would STILL be hers!!! :D (at least my wife would've swiped it!!! have to make 2 of everything!! lol) kinda busy, but if I knew how to inlay, segment, etc... I'd add more s*** than you can imagine!! Someone will always want it!! good work!!

later, Ronnie

RonInSpringTX

oh, I forgot, great display with the little lighthouse, we love those, backyard w/pool is full of that decor along with our downstairs.

alamocdc

Like Karl, I'm not a fan of that kit, Tim, but I like what you did with it. I like the look of the thicker brass and you did a god job on the alignment of the knots.[^]

Timbo

Thanks to everyone for your feedback. I really apreaciate it, and will incorporate it all into my future design decisions.. And yes...my wife loved the pen..she shows it to everyone. She likes to turn it so the knots changes from X to O, and claims I'm sending her hugs and kisses. I just agree...when she's happy, I'm happy:D.
I forgot to mention that the wood is Redheart (most of you guessed that I'm sure), and it has a CA finish. It's not my favorite kit either, but it serves a purpose with respect to size and cost. I have not moved up to the more expensive kits yet. I also agree that it's somewhat busy, but those long thin tubes seem to demand embelishment.

itsme_timd

Great pen, thanks for sharing!

IMO, the design is 'just right'. You are able to showcase the blend of materials along with the craftsmanship in the symmetry of the inlays. I personally don't think it is too busy, just very active!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by alamocdc

Like Karl, I'm not a fan of that kit, Tim, but I like what you did with it. I like the look of the thicker brass and you did a god job on the alignment of the knots.[^]

I think god might have done it quicker, but other than that, I agree completely.

I stopped making that kit years ago, cause I never made a pen I liked. I like YOURS!!!

hughbie

the knots are exact...at least what i can see. the more i look at it, the wider brass compliments the gold in the kit. looks like it was made just for that kit!
you dun real good!

Top Bottom