First two off the lathe this year.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Gord K.

Gord K.

Both kits are from Lee Valley Tools because I had the itch to make some pens and didn't want to wait to order stuff in! The top pen is a Half-Twist, others call a Perfect Fit, made of tulipwood. The bottom pen is a Flat Top which is also called a Classic or Flat Top American made of rosewood.

I'm left-handed and in Grade 5 (1962) we used dip pens and ink wells. I was an overwriter and would have ink smeared across the page and up my arm! My Grade 5 teacher's mission in life was for me to have legible hand-writing and after many writing exercises I switched to underwriting. While I have bad memories of dip pens and bottle ink, I did a lot of reading on the Fountain Pen page here and I am intrigued because it seems many lefties are FP users. The biggest downside is I'm going to have to start wearing shirts with pockets so I can carry the pen without too much risk of an ink spill!

Best wishes to all for 2014.

As always, comments are welcome.

Gord

Attachments

• DSCN1704r.jpg
    DSCN1704r.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 272
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I am also a lefty Gord. I remember 1st grade (1966) we used big red pencils. I also dragged my hand through the pencil lead and remember my hand being black from it. My teacher hated lefties and tried to make me switch to my right hand. I am sure she meant well?

OZturner

Lovely Job on the Pens Gord,
Of the two the Rosewood FP stands out more than the Tulipwood,
But both are great.
I would like to se a photograph of the FP with the Cap on so that you can see the complete Pen.
Terrific Fit and Finish.
Brian.

Nice job Gord.
Like both you and Mike, I am also a lefty and well remember the days of dragging the lead, and/or ink across the page.

Bil

mikebpeters

Nice job. Personally I have had issues with the Flat Top.

I have had not just one but two nibs shear off right where they meet the blank. The irksome part is that the failure occurs not in construction or assembly but in shelf life. Twice now, at a craft show someone has taken the cap off one of these and found the nib loose in the cap. I can't explain it but I know I won't buy another Flat Top kit.

Gord K.

Thanks for the positive comments.

OZturner - I have attached a quick snapshot of the closed rosewood pen. The lighting is a bit off but I think you get the idea.

mikebpeters - I bought two Flat-Top roller ball kits from Lee Valley several years ago and had both of the nibs break on me. I suspect it's a case of a plastic nib being turned too tightly into a metal coupler. Both nibs broke where the threads met the body of the nib. I bought the fountain pen starter kit this time around because I could drive across town and get everything in one package as opposed to having to order it in from the US and wait up to two weeks. I knew there could be reliability issues but it was a quick and easy way to satisfy the itch to try a slender fountain pen! I'm thinking my next fountain pen may be a Baron, or a kitless. Finished size is a concern given my penchant for slimmer pens.

Attachments

• DSCN1708r.jpg
    DSCN1708r.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 106
Top Bottom