First of Two - Black Palm Cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from G1Pens

G1Pens

Nothing spectacular here. Black Palm on Gold Cigar. Finish is 10 coats of CA. MM12000 and Ultragloss.

It's a departure from my "natural" looking finish to a high gloss on wood. Came out pretty good.

Comments and criticisms welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_5863-web.jpg
    IMG_5863-web.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 329
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxman400

Looks Good, I like the gold highlights of the wood, it pulls the gold and the black of the kit all together. Great Choice.

wizard

Gary, I think it's a great pen! I've never worked with Black Palm before. It looks great with particularly on that kit. Nice finish! Regards, Doc

IPD_Mrs

You did a very nice job, especially with a wood that can be very difficult to work with. Your fit and finish both look great and the kit is a nice match!

G1Pens

Thanks for the comments.

I found the black palm not too difficult to turn. I did it without using CA as a stabilizer. I think next time I would try that. Because of its fibrous nature it does tend to want to come apart in strands. I used my Woodchuck Pro and had very little trouble though.

airrat

Was it pourous when you were done turning? I cannot remember if it was a palm type I had that looked like it would be.

Good looking pen, nice job on the finish.

crabcreekind

you know i admire this pen alot not because of the way it looks. not because of the finish, and not because of the photo, but because the black palm isnt in pieces all over your shop. I blew up 4 black palm blanks. and that made me mad... so i admire this pen alot.

firewhatfire

I bought some and started getting it ready to turn just because of how of this pic. Cracked 2 blanks trying to drill them and finally have 2 more drilled and CA'd them on the ends tomorrow I make actually put them to spinning.

Phil

pinelumber

black palm pen

That pen looks great!! I bought some of it made 16 blanks and was only able to complete one with out it blowing up in my face. I looks beautiful. Mine came out great also I gave it away to my wife's friend.

Dennis
Pinelumber

Top Bottom