First two Acrylics: Bolt Action and a Diva

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Brian G

Brian G

I tackled my first attempts at acrylics. I'm at 50% success :redface: The first attempt proved that my skew technique went askew, and I skewered my blank and it shattered at the nib end. We won't talk about the noob mistake I made with mixing up the tubes for the Cigar. :mad: I'm antsy for my new DSLR (backordered) that will replace my broken point and shoot; I'm not used to LOML's point and shoot.

First up is a Bolt Action with a keychain made from the remnant.

Bolt&Keychain.jpg

One of my brothers hosts a charity live auction in December, from which the proceeds go toward purchasing toys for kids in need. I'm donating the set for the auction. The acrylic is called Green Kryptonite, which I purchased from Woodcraft. I dry sanded through 1200 grit, and then polished with Mirkra's Polarshine Turners Polish Buy Polarshine Polishing Pack 1oz. ea at Woodcraft.com

The other success is a Diva. The blank is Chocolate Cherry, which was a freebie from Exotic Blanks (thanks Ed and Dawn, I hope I did it justice!). Finish was a dry sand to 1200, and again with Polarshine Turners Polish.

Diva.jpg

Thank you for looking.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

longbeard

Nice job on the pens Brian. Hope they sell high for the kids.
Did you reverse paint the blanks or paint the tubes?

Brian G

Thank you for the compliment.

I forgot to mention that I reverse painted the blanks; thank you for the reminder.

I reverse painted the Bolt and Keychain black, and the Diva with chocolate brown.

Last edited:

OZturner

Brian, Great Job on all Three items,
Your recovery with the Key Ring is Clever.
(I probably would have thrown it across the room).

Together with Bolt Action, you have created a Fantastic Set.

With the Diva, I love the Blank, it goes so well with the Diva.

Talking about the Blank, it sure is worth talking about.
I don't know if I am falling into the "Dirty Old Man" category, but I can see images in that blank, that I had better not elaborate upon, other than to mention that there looks to be a Bent Thumb, with a Ruby painted Nail on the lower section.
I will let you all make of the rest what ever you think you can see.

Your items, have Terrific Fit and Finish.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Last edited:

Brian G

Thank you for the comments.

To clarify one thing, the failure was with a different attempt. I have a bucket of shame that I put failures in as a reminder. If I throw it across the shop, I just have to pick it up again.

I see things, too. :eek:

Brian G

Thank you for the additonal comments.

Self-serving brag alert: My brother told me that the bolt action and keychain combo sold for $205 :eek: That was well above what I hoped. He didn't have a final tally, but estimated that the auction pulled in over $10,000 for purchasing toys.

I'm thinking the clientele (rural, outdoorspersons) and one-of-its-kind offering helped.

longbeard

Thank you for the additonal comments.

Self-serving brag alert: My brother told me that the bolt action and keychain combo sold for $205 :eek: That was well above what I hoped. He didn't have a final tally, but estimated that the auction pulled in over $10,000 for purchasing toys.

I'm thinking the clientele (rural, outdoorspersons) and one-of-its-kind offering helped.

Great news Brian and great job also.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom