First try at stabilization

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Argo13

Argo13

Here are the first pens I made with blanks I stabilized with Cactus Juice.

The first two are spalted maple that I received from Mark James.
clear resin on the first and blue dyed resin on the second.
photo 2.JPGphoto 1.JPG

It didn't get as dark as I would have liked but it was better than my first couple attempts.

Here is my first fail at dye/stabilization. This buckeye burl was so light it looked sickly but stabilized fine. So I took some green alcohol dye to it. So now it is darker than I wanted. Live and learn.
photo 3.JPG

And here is a clear stabilization on a burl short (buckeye I think) It came from a grab bag.

photo 4.JPG

The stabilization is going well but getting consistent on the dye will take some time. Thanks for looking

Jason

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

Jason; Great job on the pens !! I think that green buckeye looks very rich , like the color of money, good comeback with the dye !! If you use a blender or alcohol when you dye to dark, you can rub the color much lighter. Jim S

Last edited:

Argo13

Jason; Great job on the pens !! I think that green buckeye looks very rich , like the color of money, good comeback with the dye !! If you use a blender or alcohol when you dye to dark, you can rub the color much lighter. Jim S

Thanks for the tip. I'll try it. I got the idea to dye it from your post. Thanks for that too.

Jason

Last edited:

Argo13

Nice Job Jason!

Your Maple looks better than my Maple... :rolleyes:

The pictures are nice also.

Thanks Mark. I have some blanks for you. I still don't know if they needed stabilized but the took about an ounce of resin a piece.

I have been working on the pictures. I have a camera that has limited options but it seems to working pretty well so far but I will need to upgrade if I want to play with white balance etc...

Jason

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Let me know if you any more of the spalted maple, its just sitting in the barn (that's an offer for others also!). (My brother cut down a 60' tree several years ago and "let it sit outside" :eek::confused::rolleyes::):):biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:)

I do like how the pens came out Jason. Very, very nice.

OZturner

Great Work Jason.
Seeking to produce a desired colour in timber is more difficult than many think.
I believe you need to be Part Artist, and Part Alchemist.
From your results it looks like you are getting there.
Keep on stretching the boundaries.
Brian.

Argo13

Great Work Jason.
Seeking to produce a desired colour in timber is more difficult than many think.
I believe you need to be Part Artist, and Part Alchemist.
From your results it looks like you are getting there.
Keep on stretching the boundaries.
Brian.

Thanks For the encouragement Brian. This group is a great way to learn and get feedback. With all the help I received so far I am sure I will get there. Always open to comments and suggestions.

Jason

Top Bottom