First Try At Segmenting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bfrazier

bfrazier

This was my first try at segmenting. Local Deer Antler we found in the woods near the house, and Ebony on the top, piece of 0.010" Aluminum for the segment on a PSI Bolt Action Tech Pen in Gun Metal Finish.
Hardest part is always lining up the antler in the press to avoid drilling out the side of the blank... Lots of practice. Good thing I have a ample supply of drop offs and full skulls of antler to work with.
The antler has lots of pulp character to it which seems to blend nicely with the Ebony on top... Thoughts, please.

View in Gallery

OZturner

Excellent Segmented Antler, Aluminium, and Ebony Blank, Brian.
While I agree that the Antler, and Ebony blended well together, I feel that the Ebony, in the Photograph, tends to merge into the Gun Metal. It may well just be in the photograph.
As a suggestion, perhaps Purple Heart, or a lighter wood, even a piece of Aluminium would give a more defined Separation from the Gun Metal.
Excellent Fit and Finish.
Congratulations,
Brian.

bfrazier

Excellent Segmented Antler, Aluminium, and Ebony Blank, Brian.
While I agree that the Antler, and Ebony blended well together, I feel that the Ebony, in the Photograph, tends to merge into the Gun Metal. It may well just be in the photograph.
As a suggestion, perhaps Purple Heart, or a lighter wood, even a piece of Aluminium would give a more defined Separation from the Gun Metal.
Excellent Fit and Finish.
Congratulations,
Brian.
Thank you very much for the input. Looking at it now from your point of view, I agree that next one I do will utilize a lighter wood. I really like the Gun Metal Finish with the Antler so you are right, a lighter wood tone would really bring out the workmanship. Learning is an ongoing process, and with the great support of the members I have increased my stills ten-fold. Thank to all

Top Bottom