First try at laminating

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from turner.curtis

turner.curtis

Hey guys fairly new to the site and turning in general. Have been reading quite a bit and learning from the wealth of information here. Figured I would post a couple pictures of my first attempt at laminating. I used all end pieces from other blanks I have turned to put these together. It is Mahogany and spalted Maple though virtually no spalt left. Criticism and advice genuinely wanted.

_DSC5088.jpg

_DSC5086.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rick_G

Good for the first lamination. One suggestion it's hard to tell from the photo's especially the first one. Get your cut angles the same on the top and bottom then when you put the pen together align the top and bottom sections. It's a small thing but it does make it look much better.

hewunch

You did good. Keep it up. Now for fun you might want to add something in between the segments like soda can, or pickguard or veneer.

turner.curtis

Hey guys thanks for the comments and suggestions, I greatly appreciate it.

@Rick G - Yea I see I should have lined or 180'ed the pen out when I took the pictures. I will try to be more aware next time.The angles are the same top and bottom, although I realized after I cut and started gluing that the bottom section of this blank has a 1/16 longer maple segment. I also realized after turning this one I need to line grain up better to make it look a smidge better overall.

@hewunch thanks for the suggestion. I am just getting started and more so wanted to see if I could do it. I was told I should just throw the scraps away and that just seemed wrong to me... :) I may take your suggestion and stop by a music store and grab some picks and maybe some pick guard, or try a soda can on my next one though I am not sure when that will be, I think my next feat is to learn how to turn between centers versus using an mandrel.

Once again thanks for the feedback everyone, I am trying to learn as much as I can about this new addiction I seem to have been genetically blessed / cursed with. :)

Curtis

Drstrangefart

That's a super nice job. My first segment was from a big bucket of scraps and it has like 5 different acrylics some desert ironwood and padouak all in it. Gets a lot of positive feedback, so I can't be upset. I'm waiting to do a very similar segment to yours with deer antler segmented into bloodwood. Just need the antler.

ctubbs

It matters not what you do, there is always someway to improve upon it. All the negative points have been hammered on already. The fit of the timber tot he components is excellent. Your finish looks like CA. Whatever it is, you did a very good job of getting it on, slick and shine is very good. I have never been a big fan of mahogany for pens, the grain is just too plain. However, your pairing it with the beautiful light maple gives such a good contrast that they both look very good together. Your photos are pretty good. I think I detect a slight out of focus near the bottom third of the pen. It may just be me, my glasses are a bit dirty coming in from the shop.
Sorry to say it, but you are out of control. You are hooked. Your addiction is full blown and you will make many beautiful pens. Keep up the good work.
Charles

Top Bottom