First Try at Lacquer Finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from VirgilJ

VirgilJ

Since I've developed a severe reaction to CA I'm switching to Lacquer. I've always liked a Lacquer finish better than just about anything else I've used, but I got out of it because CA is so much faster.

This is the first Lacquer finish I've put on a pen in over 10 years. I think it came out OK.

Attachments

• Lacquer1.jpg
    Lacquer1.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 217
  • Lacquer2.jpg
    Lacquer2.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 254
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodcarver

I do use CA for glue ups, but like you I cannot use it for my finish.
I have been using Wood Turner's Finish
It does need a good build up, in coats, it takes longer. But it is a non-toxic water/oil urethane hybrid for use on wood turnings, without all the problems of CA or Lacquer.

VirgilJ

I haven't used CC or WTF. They are both on my list of finishes I would like to try. I have ordered some Pens Plus, but it hasn't arrived yet.

There are so many different options and only so much money to spend that I could be at this for awhile.

snitz

How Far Do You Dip the Blank In the Can of Lacquer

Newby here.

When dipping the pen blank into a can of lacquer and thinner mix, do you submerge the pen or just up to the top?

I am thinking of the lacquer going inside of the barrel. Do I use a plug of some sort of plug to prevent this seepage or will using the pen wire and "snapping" it a few times work to take off the excess lacquer?

RKB

I really like this pen and the finish looks very nice. Love the light colored wood with the gold hardware...nice work. :biggrin:

Rod

Top Bottom