First try at inlay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jim Haslett

Jim Haslett

So, this is my first attempt at inlay. I'm happy with the way the inlay turned out. It was quite a bit of work getting all fitting correctly.

This is a copper "Classic American" kit from Woodcraft, with cocobolo and padauk inlay. It has a BLO/CA finish.

I ended up losing the lower pen tube, and it cracked as I re-glued it together. I also ended up with a defective transmission. It is a double twist mechanism, but it won't stay extended. No matter how hard you twist in either direction, it just retracts automatically.

This is my second try with this kit, and I'm haven't been happy with either of them. The first one I had issues getting the transmission to "lock" into the upper part of the pen. I also like a pretty hefty taper on the lower pen body, and this kit doesn't really allow for that because of the way the middle band overlaps the lower body.

I'm more or less happy with the finish. I'm starting to get the hang of it.

So the pen itself is not a good finished product, but it was more about testing the inlay process and practicing my technique. I am happy with the inlay and I'll definitely do it again. I also practiced measuring the pen components and turning to dimensions, instead of relying on bushings.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 100_6393.jpg
    100_6393.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 492
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Haslett

Is that a true inlay or is it segmented?

That's an interesting question. I suppose you could call it segmented. I considered it inlay the way I made it. I made a cut in the blank, but never completely severed it. Then I cut another piece of wood to fit in the kerf, and glued it in. Though if you were to separate it now, it would be in segments.

I certainly didn't mean to misrepresent the piece.

airrat

I guess you would still call it segmented. But it looks good. That kit is hard if you are adding any shape like you have experienced.

IPD_Mrs

Your centering looks pretty darn good. My suggestion would be to use a thinner blade on your next attempt. This will give the knot more definition and better spaced lines. You can also try a larger angel to help with that. All in all you did a rather fine job on your first attempt, and I suspect we will see great things from you in the future.

Lone Wolf

I think the pen doesn't look too bad at all,
although I'd prefer the lines of the knot to be
a bit narrower.
It's not difficult to get a taper on the lower
barrel of this type of pen. Just do the taper
as you want it and then cut a little rebate
that goes into the upper part.

Top Bottom