First Try at Gents and Statesman

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ElMostro

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElMostro

These three Jr Gents below were made from an 80-100 year old Pecan tree that was cut down last August in Fort Sam Houston. The top one was made from part of a branch, the center one was made from the root portion that was underground and the bottom pen is the most interesting. It was made from part of the trunk of the pecan tree, the orange flames you see were caused by rust from a nail that was driven into the tree long ago and as the nail rusted the rust stain permeated through the wood fibers permanently coloring the wood a beautiful orange-flame color.

Pecan_640x480.jpg

PecanBurl_640x480.jpg

FlamingPecan_640x480.jpg

These nest two pics are of a "worthless" cherry burl in a Jr. Stateman kit.

CherryBurl2_640x480.jpg

Cherry_640x480.jpg

This next one is Afzelia Burl
Avzelia_640x480.jpg

The final one is Cocobolo
Cocobolo2_640x480.jpg

Cocobolo_640x480.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ahoiberg

those are some great looking pens. pecan is an interesting tree, so many different looks... nice work capturing it.

ElMostro

Thanks all for the nice comments. I am pretty happy withthis first batch. I guess the best part I like about Jr gent and Jr Statesmen series if that since they use the same tubes you can decide what kit to use after you are done turning. As you all know, sometimes you have a blank that looks spectacular but once you are done turning it's just OK and on the other hand you sometimes have an OK blank but once turned and finished it is spectacular. For me if its OK I use the Jr Gent but the few that turn out looking better than expected get the Jr. Statesman.

txbatons

Great pens. I love the Ft Sam Houston wood! I have some spaulted blanks from the Jim Hogg pecan tree taken from the grounds of the state capital that I'd trade ya.

I like both those kits, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom