First Try at Calligraphy-Dip Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Gloworm5

Gloworm5

With some kind encouragement & guidance from Barney (titan2), I was able to create my first calligraphy/dip pens. They were intended to be very basic just to get the feel and the process knowledge. Maybe this will encourage others to do the same.

The first step was to create a pin chuck to hold the pen blank. Barney gave me this nice link courtesy of RedRiverPens.com to help guide me through the process. Within this document you will find information on the pin chuck.

http://www.redriverpens.com/pdf files/calligraphy Dip Pen.pdf

Since I already had a 7 mm shaft from an earlier pen mandrel, I decided to use one end of it to make the pin chuck on. The separate little pin is nothing more than a 0.100" diameter nail cut to just slightly shorter than the notch I made in the mandrel shaft.

The notch in the mandrel shaft was accomplished very easily and quickly with a flat steel file. I turned the file on its edge and began to slowly grind away the metal until I had a depth that was the same as the diameter of the nail.

attachment.jpg

Following the steps to creating the calligraphy/dip pens, I drilled the 7 mm hole in one end of my blank and glued it in place. After the glue had cured, I used my pen mill to square the blank end just as I would do for any other pen. I carefully held the pin in place sliding the pen blank over the end of the pin chuck. The pen brass sleeve should just barely fit over the chuck. Then with a light twist the chuck is tightened up. Mine was never real tight until I pulled my live center up and tightened it up between the head stock and the live center.

My first pen was finished with very little effort. I inserted the nib holder into the end of the pen and then inserted the nib. I was amazed at how light it was. It was like a feather. I placed it on my digital postage scale and found it weighed only 0.3 onces.

attachment.jpg

I decided to try my hand at it again. This time I made it a good deal longer. And, this time I used black/white ebony for the blank that I had laying around. Barney says the nibs are from around the turn of the 19th to 20th century.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Even as simple as these pens were to make, I enjoyed making them and writing with them is also a lot of fun. And, they bring back a lot of very old memories for me. Maybe a lot of you have never had this experience. Well, now is the time to take a little time to make a keepsake pen.

I hope you too will try to do the same again and again.

Larry (Gloworm5)

Attachments

• IMG_2465_Mod2_800x600.jpg
    IMG_2465_Mod2_800x600.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 518
  • IMG_2453_Mod1_CalligraphyDipPen001_800x600.jpg
    IMG_2453_Mod1_CalligraphyDipPen001_800x600.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 530
  • IMG_2465_Mod3_800x600.jpg
    IMG_2465_Mod3_800x600.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_2478_Mod1_800x600.jpg
    IMG_2478_Mod1_800x600.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_2476_Mod1_800x600.jpg
    IMG_2476_Mod1_800x600.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_2483_Mod2_800x600.jpg
    IMG_2483_Mod2_800x600.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_2482_Mod2_800x600.jpg
    IMG_2482_Mod2_800x600.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gloworm5

Nice looking 'Calligraphy' pen there Larry!!!

What were the last two pictures of.....only see Xs?

Keep up the good work!

Barney
I added a few more images and trimmed a couple. Apparently I must have deleted a couple of images in my haste to leave the house for an important appointment.

Thanks
Larry

its_virgil

Nice work on the pen Larry. Dip pens are fun to make as well as not too difficult. I'm glad you found the article useful.

My daughter lives in Bedford. Maybe we can visit on one of my next visits.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

With some kind encouragement & guidance from Barney (titan2), I was able to create my first calligraphy/dip pens. They were intended to be very basic just to get the feel and the process knowledge. Maybe this will encourage others to do the same.

The first step was to create a pin chuck to hold the pen blank. Barney gave me this nice link courtesy of RedRiverPens.com to help guide me through the process. Within this document you will find information on the pin chuck.

http://www.redriverpens.com/pdf files/calligraphy Dip Pen.pdf

Larry (Gloworm5)

Gloworm5

Nice work on the pen Larry. Dip pens are fun to make as well as not too difficult. I'm glad you found the article useful.

My daughter lives in Bedford. Maybe we can visit on one of my next visits.

Do a good turn daily!
Don
Hi Don

I am glad you approve of passing along the link to your excellent article. I had a small amount of difficulty at first getting the pin chuck to drive the blank without slipping. But, it didn't take long to get it working. Now, if I just can keep up with the darn pin. I've already dropped it a couple of times. I ended up making another one quickly! But, the instructions were clear and easy to follow. I did not ask permission to pass along the link. I assumed any added traffic to your site would be encouraged and I did give credit where credit is due. ;)

Thanks for the comment.
Larry
Everyone seems to be pleased with the posting. I still can't get over how surprisingly light weight the pens turn out to be. It makes sense though as soon as you stand back and take a look but I was just not expecting it. I am not the best photographer and did not take a lot of time setting up the pictures as you can probably tell. I am looking forward to coming up with some variations on the pens. It's fun to see what you can create in a matter of a few minutes.

Gloworm5

Hi Curley Sue

I appreciate the posting. I plan to turn a few more. I have had recent health issues which have prevented me from doing much of anything. But, I am doing better now so I think it is time to crank the lathe back up.

Thanks again,
Larry

Top Bottom