First Truestone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ghostrider

ghostrider

Here's a black Ti Neopean from Lau Lau, with Malachite Truestone. This was my first time turning truestone and it didn't seem all that bad to turn. I was really happy with the way this one turned out. Sorry for the bad pics.

As always Thanks for looking. Any questions and comments welcome.

Attachments

• DSCN1345 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1345 (Medium).JPG
    36 KB · Views: 171
  • DSCN1346 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1346 (Medium).JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 171
  • DSCN1347 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1347 (Medium).JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 219
  • DSCN1348 (Medium).jpg
    DSCN1348 (Medium).jpg
    70 KB · Views: 190
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I've always had a soft spot for malachite. :biggrin: Sometimes I think I should have been Irish cos I like green so much!!
Nicely done!!:biggrin:

plantman

These realy make beautiful pens. Great fit and finish on this pen. Also nice photo. This material is not easy to turn, but you did an excellent job here. Jim S

mrcook4570

Looks great! Not all trustones have similar turning properties. Generally, malachite and turquoise are very friendly. However, I recently got into a batch of malachite that was every bit as hard as lapis typically is.

reiddog1

The blank with that kit looks great. I've been wanting to turn tru stone, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. I hear a lot of people say that it can be difficult to turn. Why? Is it brittle, chippy, or just dense. Just trying to do some homework before I take the plunge. Thanks in advance.

Dave

monark88

The blank with that kit looks great. I've been wanting to turn tru stone, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. I hear a lot of people say that it can be difficult to turn. Why? Is it brittle, chippy, or just dense. Just trying to do some homework before I take the plunge. Thanks in advance.

Dave

You'll get various answers, but for me, I've found if you take it really slow and use your choice of lubricant it will turn out fine. Last summer, I got in a hurry on some blue/gold vein, and blew up a blank. I forgot, in haste, to lubricate the final 1 1/2, or so. It didn't just blow out the end, it blew in all directions. I had my shield on.

This is what not to do. I was errant(stupid) in not following what I needed to do. Slow down and lube. this was the first time I had trouble with Trustone.

russ

I've done quite a few Tru-Stone pens and (despite their somewhat finicky nature) I always look forward to doing more. My experience says there is potential disaster at each of the 3 stages: drilling, turning and finishing.

Drilling - You gotta use a sharp drill bit and go slow, SLOW, SLOW. If it's for something like a Clicker, you just might want to stop halfway through, get a cup of coffee, drink it and then finish drilling. I don't use a lubricant or water to cool.

Turning - Tru-Stone has a tendency to dull your tooling pretty quick. I normally use a carbide tool to turn but when I use steel, I can resharpen once or twice for a single blank. Interesting observation: While it can be hard to turn, it is very easy to take off too much material during the sanding process. So excercise caution during that step. Also. while I haven't read of any toxicity, the dust of some minerals is unhealthy (malachite for example). Don't know if they actually use malachite in the Tru-Stone version, but be careful.

Finishing - Tru-Stone does not require CA to get an acceptable gloss finish. However, it does seem to "polish up" with slightly less lustre than CA. Same warning as above regarding sanding. Sure would be awful to get all the way through an expensive blank and then find out it's too small!

Final notes - Tru-Stone materials do not all behave the same. Some are harder or more brittle or less opaque than others. I've found the turning hints for Tru-Stone at Exotic Blanks quite helpful. For example, most do not require painting the blank or tube but a couple do (case in point "Mother of Pearl"). I've also heard here (but not experienced) that some Tru-Stone is not intended/suitable for pen turning. Run a search to find a thread.

By the way, real nice job on your first Tru-Stone. Love the banded Malachite!

Last edited:

BSea

That is a great looking pen. I'm also a fan of the green banded malichite. But I'm also a fan of the kit. For those who don't know, the Neopean is much larger than a euro, and uses a transmission like a cigar (maybe the same as a cigar). It also uses a parker refill rather than a cross refill.

Mordi

That is a sharp looking pen - nicely done.

My wife is a green "freak" - and would love that color.

She says green is a sign of intelligence - but I think she may have heard that comment from Robert Deniro in of the "Foker" movies :biggrin:

Mordi

Top Bottom