First tries at segmenting and CA/BLO

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from aldwardo

aldwardo

These are pens #4 and 5. I wanted to play around and try segmenting. The design is haphazard, and overdone, but I was just looking for experience. They were also my first try at CA/BLO. That is slick. I have a lot of room for improvement. After only 5 pens I am noticing that my bushings are wearing thinner. I need to get a nice calapers. Would a cheap one be good enough to measure that small of an increment? Sorry, I am full of questions, now for the picture:
3464259182_7cb1ff93d5.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kirkfranks

Nice job on the segmenting. Especially for pen #4 and 5.

On the caliper question many folks here get the low cost digital type. Yes they will work fine. I got mine from Rockler on sale less than $20.00 if I remember correctly. Harbor freight has them onsale often for a little less than what I paid and many are happy with them.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Rod,

Nice work. You will find that most bushings are semi-disposable items. They wear out like everything else.

As Re the calipers - My cheap HF digital calipers are more accurate than I am!!

rwyoung

Get calipers with metal jaws and a good lock for the slide. Use them to make a relative measurement by checking against the pen hardware, not a nominal measurement somebody wrote down. That way, the absolute accuracy of the calipers is not at issue. A $7 pair can work as well as a $50 pair.

DurocShark

I'm quite happy with the Cen-Tech digital calipers that Harbor Freight sells. They go for under $10 when on sale.

Honestly, they don't have to be accurate, just repeatable. It can be off by 10 feet, as long as it's *always* off by the same 10 feet. I have no idea if these are truly accurate, but they are repeatable and work great for turning.

Just remember to turn the lathe off when measuring. DAMHIKT

leehljp

Member Liaison
Get calipers with metal jaws and a good lock for the slide. Use them to make a relative measurement by checking against the pen hardware, not a nominal measurement somebody wrote down. That way, the absolute accuracy of the calipers is not at issue. A $7 pair can work as well as a $50 pair.

I agree completely. I had one "plastic" set that someone gave me (or left for me) once and I did not find them very helpful. Personally, (as RW mentioned) I would stick with metal ones.

Top Bottom