First time using CA finish, two pens today

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bobostro61

Bobostro61

Here's two that I made today. This is my first time trying out the CA finishing process. Quite happy with the results! Now, what am I going to do with that bottle of friction polish?

Sorry about the angle of the photos. No matter what way I turn my iPhone, the pics want to post in landscape.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I usually do not reply on beginners pens unless I can add some insight if they ask for it.

But my friend you made me hit the key board.

The top pen. You nailed this pen in so many ways. I applaud you for thinking outside the box but staying within limits of a great shape. The shape is fantastic. The upper cap follows the subtle lines of the centerband. I do not know if this is what you based the shape on but that is where the eye goes. You did not bulge the lower barrel but the shape follows the lines of the pen kit and that is what so many people do not get. Let the kit talk to you and don't get way away from this that you now have huge bulb of wood in your hand unless you are making for a handicapped person or one that needs bulk.

I have not seen that kit and am very interested in it. Where did you get it and is it available in rollerball or fountain or both??? What is the plating on this?? Does it come with higher grade platings???

Now as far as your finish, no one person can tell from photos what a person's finish is like unless they do some really fine macro work with the photos. Just not possible. I chuckle at some of the comments about finish on pens. Unless you have pen in hand we can not see if you got all the sanding marks out or a host of other things. So with that said I will refrain from commenting on that part but if you are happy with the results then you are well on your way to making some fine looking pens. There will still be a learning curve as you go but ask questions and you will do just fine. It is not as hard as one may think.

As far as photos you can always load in photoshop and rotate them and then post. OR any one of the other photo programs.

Good luck and thanks for showing.

Bobostro61

I usually do not reply on beginners pens unless I can add some insight if they ask for it.

But my friend you made me hit the key board.

The top pen. You nailed this pen in so many ways. I applaud you for thinking outside the box but staying within limits of a great shape. The shape is fantastic. The upper cap follows the subtle lines of the centerband. I do not know if this is what you based the shape on but that is where the eye goes. You did not bulge the lower barrel but the shape follows the lines of the pen kit and that is what so many people do not get. Let the kit talk to you and don't get way away from this that you now have huge bulb of wood in your hand unless you are making for a handicapped person or one that needs bulk.

I have not seen that kit and am very interested in it. Where did you get it and is it available in rollerball or fountain or both??? What is the plating on this?? Does it come with higher grade platings???

Now as far as your finish, no one person can tell from photos what a person's finish is like unless they do some really fine macro work with the photos. Just not possible. I chuckle at some of the comments about finish on pens. Unless you have pen in hand we can not see if you got all the sanding marks out or a host of other things. So with that said I will refrain from commenting on that part but if you are happy with the results then you are well on your way to making some fine looking pens. There will still be a learning curve as you go but ask questions and you will do just fine. It is not as hard as one may think.

As far as photos you can always load in photoshop and rotate them and then post. OR any one of the other photo programs.

Good luck and thanks for showing.

John,

Wow! I don't know what to say except THANKS for the gracious reply! My aim in making this pen actually was getting the line to flow very smoothly from the clip to the bottom of the cap. I made one the other day but it didn't come out as smoothly. I stopped turning too soon in fear of turning through to the brass tube. I must be honest though, I didn't really think "out of the box" on this one. I used the example from the kit on PSI to make it. Here is the link:

Concava Pen Kits at Penn State Industries

As for the finish, I put on no less than six layers of thin CA and did not sand between applications. I then dry sanded to 600 grit and wet sanded to 12000 grit with a final two coat application of One-Step plastic polish. I don't see any sanding marks what so ever with the naked eye. For my first attempts at using CA as a finish I'm really happy with the results.

Thanks again for the reply. You made my day!

Bob.

mmayo

Nice work, great shape, interesting (good) combination of colors that works. CA, if applied enough to fill in the grain and sanded flat gives great results. I am glad I only purchased trial size containers if friction polish. For display on a stand friction polish might be great but if you intend for them to use the pen then CA seems to be best.

Great work!

jttheclockman

Well Bob I don't know what to say. First I did not even know of this kit till you posted and I did not know that is the shape they are promoting with this kit.

All in all I still like what you did with the shape and you succeded in mimicing what they do show so that is worth points. Job well done. I do believe there can be no other shape to that kit because of that center band. I will have to get some of the chrome and give it a try being the chrome looks like the only reliable plating.

Thanks again for posting it and good luck with your CA finishes.

Top Bottom