First time turning Aluminum

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from elyk864

elyk864

Tried my hand at turning aluminum on the wood lathe. It was surprisingly easy to turn with an old carbide tip I had. I've honestly turned some woods that were harder lol. The biggest issue was drilling it out on the lathe, the bit kept packing full. Other than that it wasn't bad.

Attachments

• DSC_0149.jpg
    DSC_0149.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 199
  • DSC_0150.jpg
    DSC_0150.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 204
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

With aluminum you have to retract and clean the bit fairly often. . Otherwise the shards pack up.

Nice pen !!

Last edited:

elyk864

With aluminum you have to retract and clean the bit fairly often. . Otherwise the shards packup.

Nice pen !!

Yeah, it's really odd. The first 1/2 inch will cut beautifully with long stands coming off, then the rest just bunches up after that. I even tried going from smaller bits to larger and still had the same problem.

More4dan

The aluminum chips/ribbons are breaking as the bit goes deeper and are being pushed along the drill bit flutes. When you first start they peel off from the tip into the air in longer ribbons. Also, unlike wood they don't compress like saw dust when drilling requiring more frequent clearing. VERY NICE PEN by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

More4dan

A good cutting fluid will also Help. WD40 works pretty well for aluminum. Also occasionally check the tip of your drill bit for stuck aluminum. Keep the cutting edge clean by knocking off the stuck bits of aluminum. The cutting fluid will reduce this somewhat.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

elyk864

Kyle do you know what Aluminum alloy you used? Anyone else have a better experience with turning one alloy over another?

I was using 6061 Aluminum, I bought the first rod which was like 3 feet long at Ace Hardware for around $10. That is what I used for the pen. I ordered a thicker piece from Amazon that is about 8 inches long. I've yet to turn it though.

Top Bottom