First time to turn wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KingBentley

KingBentley

Hey guys, I just wanted you to know how invaluable this website has been. As my lathe was sort of a Christmas gift, I wasn't able to turn anything till yesterday. This was my first attempt and have already learned so much. This is a funline pen made from Curly Maple with a CA finish. What do yall think?

Attachments

• PenCurlyMaple001.jpg
    PenCurlyMaple001.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 376
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ZanderPommo

incredible!
10x better than my first.
and a CA finish on the first pen! better yet a good one! wow!
my only critique might be that you could have gotten a little closer to the bushings, but i had to look hard to come up with a critique!:biggrin:
fantastic!
by pen #10 you'll have passed me up lol, and I'm on 2 hundred sumthin'

Ligget

Wish my first pen looked as good as yours, remember to keep it safe as we all kept our first creations, good to look back on in the years to come!

KingBentley

Thanks guys! I can't take much credit on the photo seeing as though my wife loves photography. And yeah, I turned another pen tonight (I can see this as already addicting!!) and tried to get a little closer to the bushings, however, I also learned that a build up of CA on the bushings from the previous pen can throw you a little off! Thanks again.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Great looking first pen!

Welcome Kevin to the madness and keep the turning and posting going!

Since you didn't get our usual welcome over in the "Introductions" forum, I will include some items here that is usually reserved for welcomes on that forum:

Below are links to two threads/articles that have lots of information on pen turning. The first one is a very basic overview of the many aspects of getting into turning pens.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

The second link has postings by different pen turners and what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Here is another link - a PDF on the acronyms used here. I am sure you know many but this will help with those you don't.

http://content.penturners.org/articles/2009/Acronyms.pdf

leehljp

Member Liaison
Thanks guys! I can't take much credit on the photo seeing as though my wife loves photography. And yeah, I turned another pen tonight (I can see this as already addicting!!) and tried to get a little closer to the bushings, however, I also learned that a build up of CA on the bushings from the previous pen can throw you a little off! Thanks again.

A good tool to have and to learn to use early on is a good set of digital calipers. Harbor Freight has some fine lower priced ones to get started with.

While you have a build up of CA, the next thing that will happen is that you will bump and sand the bushings and after 10 - 30 pens, it will be a different size. In cases like this, the bushings are considered "consumables". For this reason, it is good to determine the final size by measuring the nib, center band and clip end and then turning to that size, again measuring the blank with the calipers.

The earlier that caliper use becomes a habit, the faster consistent turnings and fittings become.

PapaTim

Nicely done for your first woodturning. If you feel something pulling your foot while you turn, don't worry. It's just the vortex sucking you in.

KingBentley

A good tool to have and to learn to use early on is a good set of digital calipers. Harbor Freight has some fine lower priced ones to get started with.

While you have a build up of CA, the next thing that will happen is that you will bump and sand the bushings and after 10 - 30 pens, it will be a different size. In cases like this, the bushings are considered "consumables". For this reason, it is good to determine the final size by measuring the nib, center band and clip end and then turning to that size, again measuring the blank with the calipers.

The earlier that caliper use becomes a habit, the faster consistent turnings and fittings become.

Thanks for the tip. I'll be on my way to harbor freight tonight for their higher end 8 piece HSS turning chisels, I'm not liking the set that I have for "pen turning". I'll have to pick up a digital caliper as well.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Nice pen! Oh so much better than my first . . . 20 or so.

You are a little proud of the bushings on the nib end of the lower barrel. Other than that, very well done.

Its amazing how many nice gifts you can make while you are refining your turning skills on slimline! Welcome.

bruce119

Very nice Kevin

Now the one piece of advice I will give you after 4-5 years of making & selling pens.

Is ....... Put that first pen away somewhere safe and hold on to it FOREVER a year or 2 from now you will know why you did and be glad you did it. DO NOT give it away give your second pen away but not your first successful pen. And that certainly qualifies as a successful pen. You will get the kinks worked out it takes time and practice. But that's were the fun is.

Welcome try to keep the addiction under control

Bruce

Top Bottom