First time Snakewood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JohnU

JohnU

200852341510_snakewood.jpg

Classic Twist from CSUSA, CA/Blo finish. Snakewood from Harris Burl (n4631x here at the site). Great wood Nolan, thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

desertyellow

The agony and the ecstasy of snake wood.
Well done!
The sign of great woodworker is measured not only in what they make but in how they fix the mistakes along the way.

Tony,
Las Vegas

PaulDoug

Beautiful pen. I love the look of snake wood, but I read so much about the CRACK that I'm afraid to use it. Does it crack even is stablized or encased it PR?

Nice pen! I love the colors of snakewood, very unique.
I've ruined two blanks so far, they both cracked slightly diagonal across the grain while drilling and the repair was too obvious. No satisfaction for me yet.

JohnU

I guess I got lucky with this one. Ive read about the cracking and I made sure I had a new drill bit and took my time. Turning was very little at a time and I sanded more than usual being afraid of the crack! Both of my cracks came upon assembly so I just sanded and re did the ca finish. I also made sure I coated the ends of the wood around the tube with ca. Not sure if it helped or not but so far no more cracks. Im keeping my fingers crossed! Thanks for all the comments.

Top Bottom