First time to show a pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BJohn

BJohn

Fairly new to turning pens, this is first time I have shown off a pen here on the IAP Site. PLEASE BE HONEST LOL

John

Attachments

• DSCN0450a1.jpg
    DSCN0450a1.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 307
  • DSCN0451a1.jpg
    DSCN0451a1.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hendu3270

Interestring piece of wood for sure and finish looks great. I was nervous the first time I posted a pen as well, but don't be. It helps you improve your skill. You get better with each pen. Keep posting the pens.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Beautiful pen - love that blank.
The pen would probably show up even better with a lighter background, but that's the only suggestion for improvement that I can make.

Methinks you should have been posting long before this. Well done. One of the things we are judged on is the finish and IMHO you did good. REAL good!

The dark background is certainly OK to use. When done right it adds real class to the pic. Yours is too dark for my taste but I think it's an exposure thing. Assuming you are using a digital camera, try opening up the aperture 1.0 to 1.5 stops. That would be +1.0 or +1.5 on the camera's scale.

Nice work! Keep the pics flowing!

Marko50

Looks like a pretty nice pen to me, John! The photo is a bit dark but that will come with time. You might want to adjust your F-stop if you're using a digital SLR. Just my .02¢. Keep posting and showing off your stuff!

Regards,
Mark (marko50)

BJohn

Thanks for the compliments and the advise on the background for the picture.

And yeah I was a little nervous some of the work I have seen on here is pretty amazing. I have a lot to learn but glad I might be off to a good start.

Look forward to watching, posting and learning from all of you.

Thanks
John

glen r

John, you learn a little more from every pen you make. There are no two pens ever the same when one uses wood or cast blanks and you learn from the little mistakes that you believe you made when you turned the last pen. Great job on the first picture.

OZturner

A Stand Out Pen, John.
A Fantastic Blank, beautiful colour and texture.
Your Fit and Finish, looks good, but as previously mentioned, the photograph makes it difficult to see the fine details.
An excellent effort, well done.
I look forward to seeing future postings.
Brian.

Ambidex

Beautiful pen John...next time you're nervous about posting a pen don't be...I think I've posted a crapload of pens that weren't nearly as nice as that one...keep posting and 99.999 percent of the time you'll get nothing but applause and if needed, advice here.:)

plano_harry

John, I think the pen looks great! Don't hesitate to post. We all love to give advice because many of us learned to make pens by reading this site and want to contribute. That being said, can't see anything to improve on the pen - nice fit and very good finish, pleasing shape, great piece of wood. Even the photo is good. I like the dark look, but it could a click lighter, or maybe an additional accent light. When I first started, it was easier to make a good pen than a good photo of it, so you did well on that count also.

SDB777

Hoping the stabilizing will keep the 'pith' together....as I have no experience with pine and stabilizing, I sure would like to see if it cracks later(I don't think it will, but I don't know).

Not really sure I'd call it 'spalt' though....I know that some say it does and some say it doesn't. I do know if the timber doesn't get enough air during the drying, it can 'stain'. Generally , I see 'spalting' to be a black line and not a hue in the whole piece.

The fit-n-finish looks pretty good. The photo could be set against something white, and go for the sharpest quality photo....it'll be a lot easier to C&C.

Scott (keep sharing and keep turning) B

Top Bottom