First time double close Fountain. Thoughts welcome

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alxe24

Status
Not open for further replies.

alxe24

Here is my first double close if this is what you'd call it. I'm pretty happy with the overall result. The process what pretty straight forward a bit lenghty since it was a last minute idea so the finial is from a different blank and bla bla bla. So what do you think? I'm wearing armor so don't worry about your thoughts :D
Regards,
Alex

2007510101711_Double-closed-02.jpg

2007510101722_Double-closed-01.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Alex,
This is one of the classiest pens I've seen here. Striking blank and exquisite closed end design.
A bit more info is in order. What was the process for the clip finial? Is this a short or long Havannah?

gerryr

Excellent work. It isn't technically a double closed end because you can still see the clip ring, but that doesn't lessen the quality of the work. Excellent choice of material and the execution looks flawless.

alxe24

First thank you all for your nice comments I feel good about the pen. It takes a bit more time to make but it was worth every minute. It also heps me get better at what we do.

Some of you asked about making it so here it is. I hope I did not over explained.

Originally posted by oobak
<br />Alex,
This is one of the classiest pens I've seen here. Striking blank and exquisite closed end design.
A bit more info is in order. What was the process for the clip finial? Is this a short or long Havannah?

I use the Havana kit there is no long and or short. The Havana either fountain or roller ball use the same diameter tubes (different lenghts but same diameter)
The closed end part was made with Arizona S close end mandrel so that is pretty straight forward I did made sure the hole was deep enough so I can fit either fountain or ball point (just in case)as far as the cap is concerned turn normally thinking on the final design so you have some sort of continuation. I meassured the diameter on the ring of the clip and made sure the diameter is the same so there is a nice smooth transition.
For the finial, I chuck a lenght of the celluloid and shape the top again make sure the diameter is the same as the one on the ring. The lenght of it (the part showing) was very close to the original metal hardware lenght and then make a teneon to be the diameter of the tube where you are inserting it, but a fration thinner (I wasn't looking for a compresion fit) as a matter of fact it barely touches the inner walls of the tube. Make sure you son't make the teneon too long, otherwise it will prevent the pen to close since the tenon is solid (I guess one could drill a hole there) Roller ball is not much of an issue but fountain pens are a bit longer.
Then I glued it with 5 min epoxy and use a small clamp to keepit from popping out since the clip makes some pressure against the tube. Let it cure and the take a few pictures and post them here so everyone can see you creation.
Regards,
Alex

Skye

Originally posted by alxe24I'm wearing armor so don't worry about your thoughts [:D]

Ah, a man after my own heart.

Firstly, the clip fit is flat out awesome. The finish looks good and the color to kit match is perfect. Far, far better than any closed end I've tried.

The nits:

The cap at the band is slightly underturned.

The shape at the body of the pen is nice, but a little too subtle. To me, it looks almost like you were going for a straight body, but accidentialy got some dips. I would have went for a slightly more pronounced profile, but just slightly. But, that's all personal taste.

I would have sanded the foot a tiny bit more. It looks like there's a circular mark at the end, but it could be a camera trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom