First TBC pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ToddMR

ToddMR

Well yesterday, Saturday, I took off the mandrel and put on my dead center along with my live 60 degree center and started turning pens between centers. The first pen pictured is the 2nd one I did. It is Buckeye Burl stabilized clear Atlas Chrome kit. I did 3 coats thin ca and 5 coats medium and then MM all the way up. The nib end is just ever so slightly under turned.

The second pen was the first one I did TBC, it is a black ti cigar pen with a alumilite blank I bought from Wolftat. I am pretty happy with this one. I did MM all the way up twice. This pen is going to a guy I work with tomorrow who had been off on disability due to knee issues the last 12+ weeks.

149731-438x.jpg
149732-438x.jpg

149734-438x.jpg
149735-438x.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ToddMR

Mike, I LOVED it lol. Seemed so easy, even with having to do upper/lower barrels separately it wasn't a big deal to me. Really am glad I decided to try doing that.

Bree

Good job Todd. Your friend will be verry happy with the pen!
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

ldb2000

Great job Todd , they both look great . It's kinda like learning to turn again in some ways . Because there is less flex the blanks seem to turn down faster and have a different feel while turning them . Start using the calipers more until you get the technique down . After a while this way , using a mandrel will feel strange .

toddlajoie

If you get turned a little low, you can always build it back up a bit with CA within reason, .005 or so. I've built up a bit over .01 but it takes a LOT of coats of CA.

Top Bottom