First Stamp Blank Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mark james

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
First: Thank you to ossaguy and marko50 and others for inspiration and friendly advice and comments in their threads! These pens are a result of the collective of IAP!!

OK, Wifey and I went on our Honeymoon to Grand Cayman in 1984 for a SCUBA diving trip... Yup, 30'th anniversary next month (She is responsible for our SCUBA interest).

This is part of my Anniversary present - (the other may be a bit more clear and faceted...and expensive).

For a first attempt, I'm pleased. Cast in Alumilite.

Attachments

• IMG_0771.jpg
    IMG_0771.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0772.jpg
    IMG_0772.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0770.jpg
    IMG_0770.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0781.jpg
    IMG_0781.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 140
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Very nice Mark you sure can't tell those are your first castings. You did a great job on those. But you hVe to watch out it gets very addictive....

Mike

Mike... Your watch blanks were awesome inspiration also. I have local requests for these, but I still have a "job," so I will keep it low key. I love this HOBBY.

Question: Why West Systems Epoxy over Alumilite (I won't consider PR - Wifey is a Polymer Chemist and has banned it with my Medical issues - which is fine with me!).

Mark

I just started with epoxy because it had a slow enough cure the it didn't require a pressure pot. There is very low or no odor or fumes, although neither does Alumilite. One of the few times I used Alumilite I had issues with adhesion to the paint I was using and cracking around the CA that I used to glue on the watch parts, but that I blame on the StickFast CA.

Epoxy does have it's down falls, it eats the silicon molds. It just pulls the oils out and the don't last very long. I still use Alumilite but just for embeds or color pours.

Mike

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I just started with epoxy because it had a slow enough cure the it didn't require a pressure pot. There is very low or no odor or fumes, although neither does Alumilite. One of the few times I used Alumilite I had issues with adhesion to the paint I was using and cracking around the CA that I used to glue on the watch parts, but that I blame on the StickFast CA.

Epoxy does have it's down falls, it eats the silicon molds. It just pulls the oils out and the don't last very long. I still use Alumilite but just for embeds or color pours.

Mike

Thank You! Info is a great help.

OZturner

Great Pens, Mark.
Superb Blanks, Fit and Finish.
Congratulations for next months Anniversary, with 29 years now behind you, I think you know what it is all about and what it takes.
Brian.

Top Bottom