First Stacked Blank (I had help)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KMCloonan

KMCloonan

I joined IAP about 2 weeks ago, and was immediately inspired by what I read and saw in this forum. I had never even heard of stacked blanks 2 weeks ago. Then I saw Mark James' "Trash Bin Pens" (Which are anything but...) http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/trash-bin-pens-148979/ and I knew I had to try this. So, I found an old used gift card, and a small cutting board that someone had donated to Goodwill - I picked it up for 50 cents, and set about making my own stacked blanks. This was pretty simple since whoever made the cutting board had already stacked the wood. I just needed to make a couple cuts, add in the gift card pieces (I used medium CA to glue them in), clamped it for a couple hours, then made the pen below.

I really like this process, and will definitely make more. Heck, I may even glue up my own wood!:wink:

I'm pretty sure the center section is walnut, but I'm not sure about the rest. I do know it was tough to machine it. Very hard wood.

Attachments

• IMG_3247.jpg
    IMG_3247.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 311
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KMCloonan

Mark, I am going to try to meet the group in Bolingbrook, Il. Later this year. I believe October is a meeting month. Thanks for the kind words!!

Top Bottom