First Sold Pen, First CA Finish - What was I thinking?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Proud2Turn

Proud2Turn

The pen is a BOW on a Navigator kit. A co-worker asked for a pen for his father-in-law, who is a pastor. So the natural blank selection was BOW. My first time working with BOW, and I have fallen in love. What a beautiful wood. Knew the best finish would be CA, which I hadn't tried yet. Well after a bit of practice, and couple failures, this is the end result. So thankful for the great info on IAP and YouTube on CA finishing; just wished I had gone through more of the posts before I started, instead of going back to see how not to do (or how to undo) what I just did :eek:

Sorry for the poor pictures. Any and all comments are more than welcome, and thanks for looking.

Attachments

• BOW_Navigator_15DEC2012.JPG
    BOW_Navigator_15DEC2012.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 312
  • FirstSoldPen_BOW_Navigator.JPG
    FirstSoldPen_BOW_Navigator.JPG
    171.6 KB · Views: 230
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gallianp

So is this Bow wood what others call Maclura pomifera, Osage orange, hedge, hedge apple, Bois D' Arc, Bodarc. ?

Love it Paul

The Penguin

So is this Bow wood what others call Maclura pomifera, Osage orange, hedge, hedge apple, Bois D' Arc, Bodarc. ?

Love it Paul
BOW is Bethlehem Olive Wood.

completely different from Osage orange and all the other names it goes by (you forgot "horse apple")

Proud2Turn

Thanks, and yes it is a rush! Can't wait to do it again!

I hadn't been in the workshop for several months (jaw surgery), so this pen was my first one back in the shop. Was stressful worring about getting right. Good to be back in the workshop.

Proud2Turn

Question for you more experienced turners, while we're here...

Do ya'll let the CA finish cure (hours) before pressing the pen kit hardware onto the blank? I had an issue where it pushed up (bubbled - for lack of a better description) the CA. I could have other issues that cause that - usually those are mental ones. Just trying to learn the best practices.

flyitfast

Nice pen and congratulations! It is such a rush to sell the first one.:)

You really made that BOW sit up and shine. Great job!

It really is a rush when you sell one, but for me, it is a big rush to make a beautiful pen and then give it to a friend or family. Or, a bigger rush is to make a nice pen and give it to a hero serviceman.
gordon

jmbaker79

Congrats on the first sale! Typically I wait until the next day to assemble after applying a ca finish. While it is dry to the touch, it takes a little while to cure. Biggest issue is the plating, that can be damaged from ca gassing off. I have never had an issue with that, even when assembling immediately, but safe or sorry? Nice job on the BOW, nice stuff to work with!

Proud2Turn

All about making something special. A special handcrafted gift is... well one of a kind. Even more so when made from wood or material with meaning. I have some wood from my grand parent's house that I'm looking forward to making into a pen set for my mom.

OKLAHOMAN

I don't care if you let it sit a month before pressing it together, if you haven't milled,sanded or otherwise made sure that no CA is past the tubes you will crack or bubble the finish when pressing it together.

Top Bottom