First Slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from underdog

Status
Not open for further replies.

underdog

Here's my first Slimline pen. I got the blank from one of the guys at the Southeast Bubbasville Penturners gig. I'm still not sure what the wood is, but it sure smells like stinky socks... Pretty though.

200611214541_Slimline%20Pen%201.jpg

I have several areas where I'd like to improve. One is the finish application. Currently I'm just wiping it on with scraps of an old pillowcase. :D I've got to get some kind of spray equipment to put this lacquer on. (Or else figure out how to apply CA glue, but then I'd need some way to buff it out.) Or maybe wipe on Gel Poly...

The other is to figure out how to get the bushings to be concentric with the mandrel. I sanded down to the bushings only to realize they weren't concentric with the mandrel. Consequently the wood isn't quite concentric with the nib or cap. Or maybe just use the bushings as a rough guide and measure the size with calipers?

Other than that, I'm happy with it. I can't believe it took me so long to work up the courage to make this thing. (I bought this kit same day I went up the the Southeast Bubbasville Penturners gig. [:I])

**Oh yeah, I almost forgot... My Dad is a blacksmith and has recently made me a gouge for carving spoons. I turned a handle for it and that's what you see the pen leaning on. Cool[8D] luv ya Dad..!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

twoofakind

Jim,
You may want to try a little sprayer called preval(spelling?). I have used it several times to spray a lacquer finish. You can pick them up at Home Depot and work pretty well.
Andy

pete00

Jim

nice job on the photo as others have said, the pen is looking good as well.

If this is you first pen make sure you keep it, or if this is one your proud of keep it as well. As you get better in your eyes you'll look at these and say wow i came a long way form those. BUT you'll always think of your firsts as special....

forgot

Here's a thought
blacksmith for a dad = making tools to sell
he makes you sell....[:D][:D]

underdog

Now there's a thought. Course he'd have to ship them to me from Alaska...

Thank you all for the nice words and encouragement. Now that I've finished one, I can hardly wait for the others to get here....[:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom