First Sierra and first-ish PR

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Fibonacci

Fibonacci

So I got a copper metallic PR blank from Exotic Blanks with my order (thanks Ed) and decided I wanted to give PR another chance after my scraper incident the other day.

I used the skew exclusively on this one, and am really happy with it. Contrary to appearances, that is not an oops band of cocobolo. I put it there thinking it would look good. I was wrong.

Anyway, here is a rough picture, as my phone is the only camera I can find at the moment.

I am not counting pen numbers now that I have broken 10, but as a second serious skewing, I am really happy with it. I skewed, wet sanded at 600, and polished.

Attachments

• IMAG0327.jpg
    IMAG0327.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 214
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fibonacci

If Ed can remember what he sent me (along with 3 variations on sierra and a zen), or someone else can ID the blank, I want to pick up a couple more.

ctubbs

Jason, overall I think your pen looks very good. Like you, I am not too sure about the cocobolo band. It does add a bit of interest but it may be too close to the same color as the blank. The fit and finish is good and it is always good to see someone trying something new, even if it does not work quiet as expected. Do not quit trying and having ideas. I have always learned more form an error than any success. Keep up the good work.
Charles

Fibonacci

Maybe if the band were larger and matched on both ends, but I think the fundamental problem is the color, like you said.

I am not sure what would go well with the copper.

seamus7227

Maybe if the band were larger and matched on both ends, but I think the fundamental problem is the color, like you said.

I am not sure what would go well with the copper.

I think if you were to take off the cocobolo and replace it with some tru-stone turquoise that it would be complimentary. You can go to Hobby Lobby and get a color wheel that will give you complimentary colors. Thats what i use if I have this same issue. Nice work though, and continue to improve on any mistakes, it will only make you better!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Jason,

Well, its a metallic!! Now, probably red. Could be bronze, depends on the picture.

As for Cocobolo, I am not a fan of wood and resin mix--so I would use a resin (acrylic) with this, probably black---can't go wrong with black or white.

And, yes, I would do both ends--not only for balance, but also the end toward the nib will "wear", so if you use an acrylic, it is more durable than PR.

Glad you like the blank!! This last couple months we have used nearly all metallics for the freebees. Had some made just for this purpose. Nice to hear you are happy!!

Top Bottom