First shot at a closed end.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DurocShark

DurocShark

I can't believe I've never done a closed end. It's one of those things I've been meaning to do, but never had the motivation or inspiration.

This is to be a desk pen. The base is still being worked on, so it's not in the pics. (Waiting for lacquer to cure so it can be polished up.) But since there's no cap to post, I figured the threaded end didn't need to be there.

I used my HF punch to hold the pen in my drill chuck on the headstock. A bit of tape around the punch to make a snug fit was all it took. The hardware is from a Jr Gent. The PR is blue dye swirled with PearlX silver.

1_deskblue01.jpg

1_deskblue02.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MartinPens

Love the color and style and shape. Nice work! Waiting as well to see the base. I tried making a base today - just playing around. It turned out terrible. Still waiting for inspiration to hit.

Martin

DurocShark

Bleh. Base will be a while. Forgot to fill the bloody grain, so now I need to build up the finish thicker than I had intended. :(

DurocShark

Here's a peek at the base. Still a week out from being done (or more, depending on available time) but I was test fitting things. Haven't put the thread insert in the hole or finished the finish or anything yet. In fact, it's still on the faceplate for the lathe. heh

I thought the candleholder would work as a design element. Now, I'm not so sure. Maybe I'll like it better when I'm done...

deskblue03.jpg

Parson

Don, no, I wasn't kidding. The lighting is so soft I cannot tell if the pen is finished in matte or a more wet shiny gloss like I am used to doing with my PR. This isn't a criticism by any means... that's one fine looking pen! I just wanted to know how you finished it. Might just be that you're using a diffuser on your lighting and it gives it that appearance (to me anyway, with old eyes).

DurocShark

Don, no, I wasn't kidding. The lighting is so soft I cannot tell if the pen is finished in matte or a more wet shiny gloss like I am used to doing with my PR. This isn't a criticism by any means... that's one fine looking pen! I just wanted to know how you finished it. Might just be that you're using a diffuser on your lighting and it gives it that appearance (to me anyway, with old eyes).

Gotcha. I use a bounce flash off my ceiling... 16ft soft box! The only time you see sharp reflections is on flat or jagged surfaces. Smoothly curved surfaces don't have a sharp reflection unless I snoot a strobe (or provide some other point light source). Since I don't have that gear anymore, I'm stuck with this.

:wink:

Actually, I like it like that. It shows the material better than a harsh light. You can see more of the translucence of the resin (or grain of the wood for wooden pens) that way.

Top Bottom