First Shock Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DurocShark

DurocShark

After the move, I finally got a minute to make a pen. Or two.

These are those Shock Absorber kits. I'm not impressed... They use a @#$%$^ mini refill!

But they look pretty cool! I think they'll sell. :wink:

ShockPens by DurocShark, on Flickr

EDIT: Sorry about the crappy pic. Most of my gear is still in storage. This has some daylight and a flash bounced off the underside of my bandsaw which is painted black. Went for the old shop look. I guess it's close, but it doesn't show the barrel very well.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Craftdiggity

I was wondering if anyone would actually try any of those kits. I don't get the concept, but I like the blanks you used. They really go well with the look of the kit.

DurocShark

I was wondering if anyone would actually try any of those kits. I don't get the concept, but I like the blanks you used. They really go well with the look of the kit.

Thanks. I just used a black/antique silver swirl. One pen is black enamel, the other is gunmetal.

They're awesome looking, but I think their appeal will wear off fairly quickly.

mb007

I can definitely see how these could appeal to a specific (gearhead) crowd. Great work on the pens, and I really like your photo composition - very creative!

toolcrazy

Very nice shock pens. I tried out 3 and I will see if they sell this weekend at a show. They will either sell all in the same day, or not sell at all. We will see.

gvanweerd

I bought three of them and i agree they are pretty cool. one of the guys at work wanted one for his mother inlaw, whom is a dale earnhardt jr fan. I put and WC kelly green acrylic on it and a 88 decal on it. he thought it was preety cool. BUt the one thing i did.t like about them was that it takes thoughs Mini pen refills. but all an all. i fun pen. sorry no pics if it. i didn't think about taking a pic of it at the time

toolcrazy

Very nice shock pens. I tried out 3 and I will see if they sell this weekend at a show. They will either sell all in the same day, or not sell at all. We will see.

I tell you, these pens are customer magnets. Just about everyone that pass my booth had to pick one up. Which got a conversation going, because everyone thought it was a clicker. Had to mention that they are a capped pen. Yes, you had to tell them it was a pen. But, everyone thought it was really cool. Sold one of the 3 I was showing, gold spring version.

WriteON

I just got a few. Question is....what size barrel trimming shaft do I use with the those tubes. Thanks, Frank

DurocShark

I just use the biggest one that will fit, and align it with one side of the tube. Careful work will allow the trimmer to work.

WriteON

I just use the biggest one that will fit, and align it with one side of the tube. Careful work will allow the trimmer to work.

Ok thanks. Just curious ....is there a sleeve for this. What did you use?

No sleeve. I have the kit with the different sized shafts.

• Drill a 27/64'' hole through the blank
• Spread the glue over the tube. Insert the tube into the blank with a twisting motion to spread the glue evenly inside. Center the
tube lengthwise in the blank
• When the glue dries, square off the blanks.
• You can use a 7mm barrel trimmer with the proper sleeve.

Joe S.

Shockingly cool. I did one of these and got a cross brand mini refill fill, so the kit CAN still write like champ!

Marko50

You could do a tube in casting and put a harley or any number of other motorcycle/car decals on the cast. Hmmmmm, I just might try that!

Mike Powell

I bet you could get some intrest from RC Car folks with this pen, replace the spring with RC component springs and a decal for AE, Traxxas, or Losi. Could be an idea.

Boz

They are a novelty and a conversation starter as some have said. However they are not very comfortable to write with.

Top Bottom