First of a set for an auction

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from StephenM

StephenM

This is a rollerball (Continental from Woodcraft). The wood is walnut from an old tree in Forest Park here in St. Louis (site of the 1904 World's Fair).

Body is the heartwood and the scallops and trim are the sapwood. I'm doing a fountain pen tomorrow which will be reversed (scallops in the middle, band at the end) so the user can differentiate them without opening them up.

Attachments

• FPWClosed.jpg
    FPWClosed.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 563
  • FPWOpen.jpg
    FPWOpen.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 467
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

StephenM

I have to ask: how did you do the segmentation on the beautiful pen??? Philip

First make sure the blank is perfectly square. Then using a disk sander and a miter gauge set to 45 degrees, sand all 4 sides until you have a point. Then glue a piece of flashing and your contrasting wood to one side. Go back and sand it flush to the long sides of the pen and flush to the point. Next to the side opposite the first side or your scallops won't work out. After that do the same thing to the other 2 sides. Chuck it in the lathe and drill it out, glue in the tube and turn as normal.

A few hints:

Be sure to scuff the aluminum flashing with 100 grit sandpaper on both sides so the glue has a tooth to stick to.

The blank has to be 100% square for this to work right. I rough it with a table saw and then use the disk sander to get everything square.

I don't go so far as using digital calipers, just my grandfathers old brass calipers like this. As long as it slides the length of the blank on both axis (axises, axis' axi?), it's square enough for me.

Brass%20Caliper%20New%20copy.jpg

After I do the fountain pen, I'm going to experiment with veneer sandwiches in lieu of aluminum flashing. I'm working on an 1880 house and have some of the original wood from putting in exhaust fans. I'm going to use those for the scallops and wood from a 150 year old oak from down the street for his pen and cherry for hers. I'll use a dark/light/dark veneer sandwich to set off the scallops. (It also takes away the sting of that first bill...)

I have to ask: how did you do the segmentation on the beautiful pen??? Philip

First make sure the blank is perfectly square. Then using a disk sander and a miter gauge set to 45 degrees, sand all 4 sides until you have a point. Then glue a piece of flashing and your contrasting wood to one side. Go back and sand it flush to the long sides of the pen and flush to the point. Next to the side opposite the first side or your scallops won't work out. After that do the same thing to the other 2 sides. Chuck it in the lathe and drill it out, glue in the tube and turn as normal.

A few hints:

Be sure to scuff the aluminum flashing with 100 grit sandpaper on both sides so the glue has a tooth to stick to.

The blank has to be 100% square for this to work right. I rough it with a table saw and then use the disk sander to get everything square.

I don't go so far as using digital calipers, just my grandfathers old brass calipers like this. As long as it slides the length of the blank on both axis (axises, axis' axi?), it's square enough for me.

Brass%20Caliper%20New%20copy.jpg

After I do the fountain pen, I'm going to experiment with veneer sandwiches in lieu of aluminum flashing. I'm working on an 1880 house and have some of the original wood from putting in exhaust fans. I'm going to use those for the scallops and wood from a 150 year old oak from down the street for his pen and cherry for hers. I'll use a dark/light/dark veneer sandwich to set off the scallops. (It also takes away the sting of that first bill...)

I am thinking that if you make a 4 strand celtic knot, and cut it exactly at the middle before turning, you can get this scallops and it *may* be easier. Something to experiment with! :wink: I'll post the results.

StephenM

Well turned!!

What is the auction about? Cool timber, history will make a difference on someone bidding too.

Scott (pretty old) B

Silent auction and trivia night for my sister's school (and church).

A messed up back from cleaning (let that be a lesson to everyone!) and/or a brown recluse bite next to my spine has set me a day behind schedule. Another Chiropractor appt. at noon then finish the fountain pen.

StephenM

I am thinking that if you make a 4 strand celtic knot, and cut it exactly at the middle before turning, you can get this scallops and it *may* be easier. Something to experiment with! :wink: I'll post the results.

I had to think about it for a minute but now I understand what you're talking about. I'm not sure it would give you scallops as you have to do 2 opposite sides first and then the opposing sides but it's something to experiment with and veneer is cheap!

I had to think about it for a minute but now I understand what you're talking about. I'm not sure it would give you scallops as you have to do 2 opposite sides first and then the opposing sides but it's something to experiment with and veneer is cheap!

Oh yeah. I see what you mean now. This won't give you scallops, only something very similar. With a celtic knot you will not get the "interrupted" line where one scallop meets the other. :frown:

Top Bottom