First Segmented Pen and CA finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from clewless

Status
Not open for further replies.

clewless

Hello,

This was an attempt to insert a cube of azfelia crosswise into a piece of sassafras and learning to finish with CA.

I don't think it turned out too badly considering that I cut the notches freehand on the band saw. Most importantly SWMBO thought it was "darling" and wondered what kind of saw I would need to improve the cut accuracy. (Do I see an opportunity to BUY here?) [:p]:D

So what type saw would make segmenting accurately possible?

Also started on Fangar's CA system, but used q-tips to apply CA as suggested by someone else...(that worked fine)..I think in a few more attempts I'll have the hang of it better.

BTW don't attempt to bite a clump of semi congealed CA off your finger...it sticks-a little-to the teeth DAMHIKT [:I][:I][:I][B)]

Fire off comments please, pro or con.
This is a great forum, I've learned a lot from you folks already. Thanks,
Joe in MD
200611843132_sassafras%20and%20afzelia%20small.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Joe, that's not a bad first attempt. Especially using a BS. I like it. I'd get a good table saw for this kind of work (not a cheap benchtop model). They go out of alignment to easily and building sleds (cross cut and angle jigs) for them can be tricky. The one I built for my first TS (the largest benchtop model I could find) weighed more the the TS and was difficult to work with. JMO

BigRob777

Man, you cut that free hand. If I did that, you'd be seeing brass tube. I want to play with inlay and such (glue-ups or whatever they are being called right now). I came up with an idea tonight, that just might make it to the lathe. That looks like it was fun. Nice work.
Rob

byounghusband

Very nice Pen Joe!! I like the combination. Good work on freehanding it.

Most importantly SWMBO thought it was "darling" and wondered what kind of saw I would need to improve the cut accuracy. (Do I see an opportunity to BUY here?)

Uh, YES!!! Run with it Man!!!!![:D]

DWK5150

Looks pretty good I think. Your first attempt with CA turned out better than mine did. You bring the afzelia block corners more to a oint to make them sharper I think might set it off more and give a cleaner cut look.

gerryr

That's an excellent first attempt. I'm really curious how you got the rounded inside and outside corners to match so well.

clewless

Geryr-

I drew 45s on the sassafras blank and cut them out on the BS, then I used a flat mill file to try to flatten out the wanderings from the blade (it was the blade not me[:D])until I got a moderately tight fit.
"I'm really curious how you got the rounded inside and outside corners to match so well."
Thanks for the compliment, but the azfelia 90 angles should have been sharper.
The dark line from the insert to the end of the blank is where the sass split when I tried to glue it up. Had to glue/clamp the sass and then glue in the az.
Since I do have a table saw, I guess I'll have to build two sleds, one 90 and the other 45 so I can make precise cuts...anybody got sled plans?
Using sanding sealer/CA made the sass look much better than it has with friction polish. I have a bunch of sass and az, so that's my cheep wood for experimenting.
Thanks for the comments,

Joe in MD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom