first segmented pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from patrick_1853

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrick_1853

I put my first segmented (well, segmented to this extreme that is) pen in my photo gallery. Its not original or anything, I just wanted to try some of the corian I got out and see how well the segments would blend together, and hold together.

I was in a hurry and it was just a test, so I skipped sanding each side perfectly flat before gluing. Because of this, there are a few noticeable seperations between pieces.

Patrick

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

patrick_1853

Let me clarify the segmented thing. I followed the idea more or less in the article on the main page of this site, and using a bandsaw, it only added probably 30 minutes of actually work time to the pen. ( I just imagined myself sitting there with 40 small pieces of corian, stacking and gluing them individually). Really, I had gotten kinda bored with plain wood pens, and wanted to just play for a while.

Everyone seems to like it, but I dont know if it would be worthwhile to try to sell. I kinda want to get into higher range pens, but have to wait for a budget increase or pre orders to do it. (income tax refund is coming back next week so I may squeeze a few Gents or Jr. Gents into my next pen kit order :) ).

One thing I think I will try if I make anymore is to drill the hole for the tube while is glued up, before cutting it up to spiral it. I figure I can then stack it into a spiral and use the tube to keep it centered.

daledut

Patrick, your idea of drilling first does work. That is how I did the bottom one in this photo. BTW it was already straight laminated I just cut the slices and spiraled them.

dutridged41.jpg

tipusnr

You've pointed out the only flaw I could see. And if all the gaps were even, I wouldn't call that a flaw either. Who says you shouldn't see the lines? Good job.

patrick_1853

Thats a chrome kit. I got it from woodpenpro.com. They are the only place I have found that has comfort kits in chrome for 2.79 (they were on sale for 1.99 when I ordered the first time :( . I saw the link on this site actually and by the way, I don't work or advertise for them, I'm just a happy customer.

Also, as a side note, check out their boxes. I ordered the wooden triangle boxes and they were pretty good.

Patrick

G

Nice job.
You would be hard pressed to not have any glue lines in the Corian.

bajacrazy

Patrick, very nice looking design and color combination. Nice job[8D]

Originally posted by Eaglesc
<br />Nice job.
You would be hard pressed to not have any glue lines in the Corian.
If anyone is interested I could post chart of suggested adhesive colors for color of Corian used, straight from the fabrication manual from Dupont. No matter how well you sand these segments Corian Jewel adhesive will always show through the Everest (white) color. On the flip side if a white adhesive were used with nicely sanded segments the white wouldn’t be as noticeable and inconspicuous even through the Pompeii Red and the Cobalt Blue. I have even come up with some my own personal preference for the dominating colors aside from what the chart suggest working with this material all day long inserting countertop inlays, pinstripes, and feature designs[?]

patrick_1853

I'd be interested, I just used CA cause I figured it would work better than wood glue or gorilla glue. By the way everyone, the corian I used came from Brian.

Thanks,
Patrick

bajacrazy

I’ll post chart soon. Just wondering how to post it.

Scan and post[?]
Type chart and post to this tread or should it be posted in other part of forum etc.[?]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom