First segmented pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Katya

Katya

Greetings,
I'm Katya. Been hanging around here for a while now and have learned a lot from you all! This is my first photo posted here- just got my photo album up and running. This is a Jr. Gent II, using African blackwood, dyed spalted alder, and inserts from Gisi Designs. I think it's a good start, but I have a long way to go. Hope the photo is sized properly. Comments and critiques welcome. I know the photo is workman-like, but it is in focus, etc. Just a bit boring:rolleyes: Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• tn-14.jpeg
    tn-14.jpeg
    10.1 KB · Views: 393
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LL Woodworks

Welcome Catherine - Nice job on the pen and the segmenting - I love to segment, it presents opportunities for creativity with materials and design. Great start - I look forward to seeing more of your work.

JD Combs Sr

Great looking pen Catherine. Don't worry about the pic, concentrate on the pen quality, pic quality can come later.
As for where to go from here, what I do is look for things I like then try to duplicate them the using the techniques I learn from that I try to create my own custom versions.

Um.. didn't mean the pen was boring, just the photo. Getting there. Thanks for the comments. Any suggestions as to where I go from here..?

alamocdc

Catherine, I was one that used to prop my pens on pieces of figured wood, etc. for photographs (I think some of these are still in my album). One of the most frequent recommendations I would get was that the "props" often distracted, or detracted from the pen. So I susbscribe to the simpler is better school now and choose to keep only the pen the focus of the photo. You did this and I think it stands just fine on its own.

firewhatfire

Where to go from there is easy. Make your cuts on an angle. then add more of them next thing you know Gisi will be looking at your pens for ideas. Keep at it. Segmenting pens is not for everyone but you are off to a great start.

Phil

Justturnin

That looks amazing. These are my favorite types of segmenting's. Very simple and classy and everything goes together. Great job all the way around.

Jjartwood

Wow,Nice work!
The pen is the star and needs no exciting settings,I love the photo!
If the trick is knowing when just enough is perfect you dropped a hammer on this one
Nailed it!

shull

Catherine,
As far as the photo goes, IMHO less is more. The shot looks great and really shows off a beautiful pen. Look forward to more.

Top Bottom