first scrimshaw

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from laurie sullivan

Status
Not open for further replies.
this has been in my mind to try for a while. i purchased the tool and found a local source for the ink. since i started this i have been drawing out new ideas. now mind you, this is the first time and first pen. what do you think.

laurie

fristscrimshaw.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Laurie-
I think for your first attempt it is great!
It may not be to your liking and that is a good thing because a truecraftsman is never satisfied.What impresses me most is that you did not resort to a computerized service to add an additional detail that makes this pen a further extension of your creative abilities.
Scrimshaw has been practiced for centuries by sailors who used the art to pass the time while at sea and the examples that remain today are amazing.
The detail they achieved is remarkable when you realize they worked with sail needles and "sanded/ polished" the ivory they scrimshanded with salt embedded canvas.
I hope you pursue this technique combining this art form to another level and continue to prove that to get fine detail in our work, one does not have to resort to the efforts of someone with a computer and an expensive machine.
You have proven that all it takes is an idea and the courage to try.
Jim 15-
If a sailor with a minimal education and crude tools could turn out the work they did, I'm sure you could also_Once a concept or idea is tried and completed the level of results improves with every attempt. Wishing doesn't accomplish that.
Before you made your first pen did you"wish" you could make one and miraculously you attained the skills?
Or did you take the route the rest of us did.
I for one tried to make a pen, the rest of them only got better.
"Argue your limitations and they will be yours", Richard Bach.
Great Job Laurie.
I had this on my list to do for a while, You beat me to it.
Looking to see the next one.
Edit in
One thng about the picture has me puzzled.
I see that you are still "proud" of the bushings.Is this a "test" or do you plan to just"bevel back" to the required measuremnts?

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hi Laurie, Thats cool!! I love the fine lines you have achieved.
I've never heard of 'Scrimshaw' before. Reading Eagle's reply, I guess now that it is like engraving on whale bones etc.
What does the tool look like? Is the ink like the stuff they use in tattoos? Can you use diferent colours?

Lots of possibilities there!!!![:)]

Oh, and welcome back Eagle, hope the 'Road Trip' went well.

i want to thank all of you. i hope to do this form of art for along time. below is the link of the tool i used and did a lot of research and reading. i will be working on another today and i'll send more pictures later. also the material i'm using is axis and white tail antler.

laurie

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=019&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=290063404010&rd=1&rd=1#ebayphotohosting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom