first run of pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jskeen

Status
Not open for further replies.

jskeen

Folks;

A little hesitant to put these up here after browsing through the world class work everybody else puts out, but I decided constructive advise was faster and cheaper than making a whole bunch of mediocre pens. So...please let me know what problems you can see and how to improve my work. Photo quality is a whole 'nother subject, which I will eventually either dig into or farm out.

Thanks
James

20071112205829_sgroup1.jpg

first pen, walnut on gold slimline kit

20071112205853_spen1.jpg

another walnut

2007111220599_spen2.jpg

purple heart cigar (shamelessly if imperfectly copied from Ed's video)

20071112205924_spen3.jpg

Osage Orange

20071112205942_spen4.jpg

maple and bocote fatline (thanks for the video Russ)

200711122101_spen5.jpg

Black Palm that looks better in person

2007111221016_spen6.jpg

Laminated Bamboo from cutting board

2007111221034_spen7.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
[;)]Quite impressive, James! While the photos are good, the pens are quite well done. I especially like the second walnut. The bead work and form are beautiful!

fiferb

I like all of them. My only comment is it looks like on a few they are under turned at the center band. Especially on the lower barrel. Specifically, the second walnut, the OO, and the black palm.

Scott

Hi James!

Nice set of pens, especially if they are your first ones! It looks like you did a nice job of turning and sanding. The details, particularly the small beads, are well done, well placed, and not over-used. You could improve your finish.

You have experimented with a lot of different designs based on the slimline kit, but I don't see any that really turn out. Oh, most of them are nice, but none of them are just right. To move in that direction I would encourage you to concentrate on symmetry, balance and subtlety. The second walnut pen and the black palm have the best shape. Like Bruce said, you have under-turned a couple of times, but you will do better with practice. The cigar is interesting, but again lacks symmetry, with a skinny top and a fatter bottom.

Overall I'd say you did a great job! I wish my first seven pens looked this good! If you're watching Ed's videos, then you already have one of the best teachers around! Take a look through the galleries here at IAP, and ask questions on the forums. This is the place to improve your penturning!

Welcome to the IAP, and I hope to see more of your pens in the next few weeks!

Scott.

R2

For a first Batch you have done very well James.[:)][:)] I agree with Bruce and Scott's comments. It's also good to seethat you experimented with different timbers, that way you will begin to appreciate that different timbers behave differently. With your laminated Bamboo you have an interesting and potentially standout material. You will need to ensure that your laminations ar lined up perfectly because the lack o symetry spoils an otherwise very good effect.Keep up the good work, tou are on the right track.[^][^]
Welcome to the frustration.[:D][:D][:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom