First Rollerball

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BassBlaster

BassBlaster

This is my first rollerball, a black titanium Jr. Gent II I got from Ed at Exotics. The wood is honduras rosewood.

I have worked hard on my CA finishing process and have finally got to a result I am really happy with. The finish is really nice.

I do think it's time for a new lathe though. I have been turning on a Harbor Freight clone of a Jet mini and it has been great up untill now. I'm trying to get to the levels of many members here and this lathe just isnt capable. If you look at the nib end of the pen barrel you can clearly see the run out my lathe produces. This is not acceptable and I cant seem to make it go away no matter what I do.

DSC_0929a.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

That is a nice finish on a nice pen. I think doing a CA finish is like learning algebra. At 1st you just don't get it, but when you do, it seems easy.

Just curious, are you using a mandrel or turning between centers? It may not be the lathe at all. It could be the mandrel or the bushings.

Dustygoose

Very nice finish!!! I agree with Bob. I had a bent mandrel and thought it was the lathe. Turncrafter. I had turned a few bowls and thought I had somehow knocked ou the alignment. New mandrel and problem solved

BassBlaster

Thanks for all the kind comments!! I am really happy with this finish. I have been using CA since I started turning pens several months ago and I think I finally have it down!!

I use a mandrel and bushings to get close and then go to between centers for the final cut and sanding and finishing. The problem this time is that when I went to between centers, I was allready too close and couldnt get it trued up without taking too much off. This one is off center more than any other pen I have turned. I know my mandrel shaft is good so I can eliminate that. I'm going to try the next one completely between centers and see if its any better.

Top Bottom