First Ribbon with Cartridge Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jwalt191

jwalt191

This is an Army Commendation Ribbon with a 30-06 rifle cartridge. The cartridge was done by jdskeen, and I did the decal. This was made for an Ranger friend. I am looking for a better clear coat process. This was done with clear laquer, and it seems to be chipping off at th top of the cartridge. Let me know you ya'll think.

Attachments

• 100_9201mod.JPG
    100_9201mod.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 253
  • 100_9202mod.JPG
    100_9202mod.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 200
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

That is nice. You may need to set your self up to do clear powder coating on the casings. I've don't even know what all the takes but I think it is how most are doing it. Man if you took some of those pens to your local VFW I think you would sell them like hot cakes. I'm a VN vet and I plan on making myself one as soon as I vet set up to cast.

Is that decal just glued on and than covered with lacquer?

Sylvanite

am looking for a better clear coat process. This was done with clear laquer, and it seems to be chipping off at th top of the cartridge.

Looks quite nice.

There are lacquer formulations made for metal - even specifically for brass. They will adhere better than lacquer for wood. Next time you're at a paint store, look for "brass lacquer".

Or, you could try powder-coating. Powder-paint is a baked-on polyester coating that is very durable. The baking process, however, can discolor bullets, and some brass alloys. It might also destroy the decal.

Regards,
Eric

jwalt191

This pen was for the quartermaster at the local VFW. One of the reasons I am doing so many of these. The decal is the type of decal paper used for model cars, airplanes, etc. I was $6.99 for a 8 1/2" x 11" sheet, so it is very expensive. but yes it is glued on and then coated with laquer. I don't think the decals would make it through the bake process for the powder coat.

novop711

Jim,

The pen looks very nice.

Have you thought about trying epoxy as a finish, the pour on stuff is nice and thin, and could be brushed on. I have also used (not as a finish) a 20 minute cure top coat epoxy that a hobby store I frequent carries, this is also nice and thin, and it doesn't get the bubbles the pour on epoxy gets, it cures nice and clear.

bitshird

Jim, great pen, I like the idea, and you're right, the decal wouldn't stand up to the 400 degree heat for powder coating, ever hear of a place called Whitewright?? It used to be a safety deposit box for a bunch of German art work:D.

bananajeep

Jim
You may want to consider engraving the cartridge. You wont get the color, but you could get the detail. I don't know if the laser engraving would work or not. If so, I'll bet Ken Nelsen at Kallenshaanwoods could do what ever you needed. After that you could go with a powder coating.

Mike

jskeen

Hey;

I like that, I would never have thought of putting a decal on the brass! Nice touch, and the pen looks good overall. You might look into getting things lasered onto the brass and then rubbed with acrylic paint. That might hold up better than a lacquer coat though.

Sylvanite

You may want to consider engraving the cartridge. You wont get the color, but you could get the detail. I don't know if the laser engraving would work or not.
It takes a very powerful laser to engrave on metal. That is beyond the capability of most commercial engravers. A regular rotary engraver (one with a rotating bit, not a laser with a rotating attachment) will work, but most of those only engrave on flat surfaces.

"Laser marking" is a viable alternative, where a special chemical is used in conjuction with a laser engraver. The result is a black marking on the metal. I've done that with success. The result is very durable -- it stands up to polishing and powder-coating.

Top Bottom